Re: AC rooftop fan and cover

  • JOHN OLSEN
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 25 12:35 PM
      Robert,

      You're welcome.

      I should probably add that I had contacted Scott and Andy about a replacement fan a few weeks ago and they quoted me $712 including shipping. I did some research and found what I believe to be a compatible replacement. The only difference I can see is our part number ends with "-10" and the one I think will work as a replacement ends with a "-11". All the other specs are the same. It might have a different connector but I can swap that out with my old one. I contacted EBM-Papst who makes the fan and they said no fans were in stock anywhere. I ordered one from:

      http://www.onlinecomponents.com/ebm-papst_a1g280-aa79-11.html?p=12102224

      They said the part is on back order and the estimated delivery date was 4 months, cost plus shipping is about $235.

      I don't think EBM is going to build a new batch of them until they have enough orders to justify it. So if you decide to order the part from onlinecomponents please order a dozen of them so we can get them sooner:)

      John...

      --- In sprinter_westfalia@yahoogroups.com, Robert I Fishburn <rifishburn@...> wrote:

      > Thank you John.
      > I have contacted Scott and when Andy returns from lunch they are to get back to
      > me.
      > Fisch
      >
      > Robert I Fishburn
      > rifishburn@...
      >

      > ________________________________

    • JOHN OLSEN
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 25 12:46 PM
        Robert,

        One other thing I should mention, I did not lose mine, the fan simply went bad. So I still have the grill, and maybe that is the difference between a "-10" and a "-11". The one that Scott/Andy quoted from Kerstner included the grill. You may be able to order the grill from EBM or one of their distributors.

        John...

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 24, 2012
          Update: Fan arrived yesterday. Had to 'recycle' the old connector as the new fan just has bare wires. Otherwise the new one is identical to the old one. Installed it and all is well. Adjusted the converter output to 13.2 volts with A/C running. Measured about 100 amps current draw, which is typical for this unit. Cost plus shipping was $235, as compared to the $712 that Kerstner quoted.

        • Bob
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 24, 2012
            John,

            You've done us all a big favor by sorting through a problem that most of us wouldn't know how to resolve. However many of us can replace the fan if we can purchase the correct replacement. Thanks to your efforts and sharing of information we know where to get a reasonably priced replacement.

            Now... how hard is it to adjust the converter output to 13.2 volts and is this because the convertor is set wrong??

            Thanks, Bob

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 24, 2012
              Bob,

              It took a leap of faith on my part to order the replacement fan, not knowing if
              it would be compatible; not to mention a 4 month lead time! Onlinecomponents
              now has 9 of them in stock and we now know they are a good substitute. So all's
              well that ends well...

              With regard to the converter. For starters, just measure the output voltage and
              if it's around 13 volts with the air conditioner running (plus or minus two
              tenths of a volt) then no adjustment should necessary. I measured the voltage
              when running A/C off of the engine it was right at 13 volts. In other words, I'm
              using the engine mode as the benchmark. Hopefully that is a correct
              assumption...

              If adjustment is necessary then:

              Unplug shore power!!!

              The trim pots are next to the green led's.
              With air conditioner off, no load on the converter
              With voltmeter leads on paralled output of converters
              Disconnect molex connector (next to green LED) on converter A or B

              Unplug shore power
              Disconnect 120v hot lead going to terminal block on converter A
              Plug in shore power
              Adjust trim pot on converter B to achieve desired output voltage

              Unplug shore power
              Disconnect 120v hot lead going to terminal block on converter B
              Reconnect 120v hot lead going to terminal block on converter A
              Plug in shore power
              Adjust trim pot on converter A to EXACTLY the same as converter B
              Unplug shore power

              Reconnect 120v hot lead going to terminal block on converter B
              Reconnect molex connecter

              Plug in shore power
              Turn on air conditioner
              Confirm output voltage is 12.8~13.2 volts under load

              Mean Well PSP-1000-13.5

              http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kNQOUHaSh6PSNYf8XyRyf8z09-1XGtkH8BzkYSgaFeRl1HtqeJt\
              hLKr6Ywukfow1xQPzHB4ybnhV4jRjKBMM0J3wfnAKQOLnaisL/westy%20converter.pdf

              --- In sprinter_westfalia@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <woodywesty@...> wrote:

              > John,
              >
              > You've done us all a big favor by sorting through a problem that most of us wouldn't know how to resolve. However many of us can replace the fan if we can purchase the correct replacement. Thanks to your efforts and sharing of information we know where to get a reasonably priced replacement.
              >
              > Now... how hard is it to adjust the converter output to 13.2 volts and is this because the convertor is set wrong??
              >
              > Thanks, Bob
              >
              > --- In sprinter_westfalia@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN OLSEN" <john_d_olsen@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Update: Fan arrived yesterday. Had to 'recycle' the old connector as the new fan just has bare wires. Otherwise the new one is identical to the old one. Installed it and all is well. Adjusted the converter output to 13.2 volts with A/C running. Measured about 100 amps current draw, which is typical for this unit. Cost plus shipping was $235, as compared to the $712 that Kerstner quoted.
              > >
              > > http://www.onlinecomponents.com/ebm-papst_a1g280-aa79-11.html?p=12102224
              > >

              > > --- In sprinter_westfalia@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN OLSEN" <john_d_olsen@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Robert,
              > > >
              > > > One other thing I should mention, I did not lose mine, the fan simply went bad. So I still have the grill, and maybe that is the difference between a "-10" and a "-11". The one that Scott/Andy quoted from Kerstner included the grill. You may be able to order the grill from EBM or one of their distributors.
              > > >
              > > > John...

            • mjeffrey89
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2012
                Great find John!

                I heard from another Westy owner who contacted me through my website that his mechanic used a $65 radiator fan, "common in European cars." Because the info is second hand, I don't know exact details, such as whether any modification was required, but it's my understanding that it's a direct replacement:

                http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C3DD8G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000C3DD8G&linkCode=as2&tag=sw0a3-20 - Hayden #3670 on Amazon.com

                Since it's from Amazon, it'd be easy to return if it doesn't in fact fit perfectly.

                I don't mean to take away from your excellent find - there's still value in purchasing the exact replacement, as you did. Some won't mind paying less for a non-original replacement, so hopefully this is a good option for them!

                Cheers,
                Mike.

                http://sprinterwestfalia.com/alternative-ac-fan/

              • captnalintiverton
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 7, 2012
                  On a similar note, I just got through installing screens to cover the fan and the six oval slots in the cover. I vacuumned out much debris inside up there and used SS fastners. (Yes, I used thread seal to prevent gauling between the new SS bolts and the embedded S nuts). The screens will keep the debris out in the future. If you are real fussy, you can screen the side plastic screens they have on there as they have wider gaps allowing larger insects (e.g., bees) to get in. I also screened the two air vents on the cabin roof to keep those insects from getting in; I've seen them come out of the vent over the stove at night, attracted by the interior lights.

                  AL

                  --- In sprinter_westfalia@yahoogroups.com, "mjeffrey89" <buddha@...> wrote:

                  > Great find John!

                  . . . .