Re: [spridgets-aus] Parts sharing

  • Eriks Skinkis
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2004
      The Austin A30 door hinges protrude outwards, probably not a good look for a
      Sprite.

      While most Sprite/Midget mechanical parts will bolt directly onto an A30,
      it's not recommended to bolt the earlier A30 parts onto later later cars as
      many of the parts were never designed to handle double the power produced by
      the more modern Sprite/Midget.

      Cheers,
      Eriks.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2004
        Hey Keith

        What was the radius of the circle on the doors of your
        purple Sprite.

        Cheers
        Ant

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • Ryan, Greg
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2004
          Ant,

          Refering to the CAMS Manual of Motor Sport Schedule "K" Markings on Automobiles.

          In part it said: Competition numbers shall be black on a white background for all races.
          The background for the number must be either a disc or rectangle.

          The rectangle size is shown as 360 high x 500 wide.
          The disc size is not defined. It should be a size to accept the numbers.

          Greg Ryan

          What was the radius of the circle on the doors of your
          purple Sprite.

          Cheers
          Ant

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Paul Carson
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
            I recall my older brothers rebuilding a Sprite in the
            early 60's with parts from a donor A30, engine (later
            modified), suspension and other parts. I wasn't
            specifically referring to the discussion of door
            hinges and of course they're of no use on a Sprite.
            But ultimately there probably isn't much point in
            looking at other cars for Sprite parts. It seems
            probable that parts would be just as hard (or easy) to
            source, and the prices little different for either
            car, given their ages, so parts from another car
            wouldn't necessarily be cheaper or easier to find.
            My point though was that when it comes to sourcing
            parts, the Sprite wasn't entirely unique, and the A30
            is a close relative which can yield the odd bits.

            Paul.

            --- Eriks Skinkis <eskinkis@...> wrote:

            ---------------------------------
            The Austin A30 door hinges protrude outwards, probably
            not a good look for a
            Sprite.

            While most Sprite/Midget mechanical parts will bolt
            directly onto an A30,
            it's not recommended to bolt the earlier A30 parts
            onto later later cars as
            many of the parts were never designed to handle double
            the power produced by
            the more modern Sprite/Midget.

            Cheers,
            Eriks.

            > If the Sprite was born out of the Austin A30/A35
            maybe
            > that is a clue? I suppose Austin's parts bin was
            > spread out a bit considering all the different
            Austin,
            > Morris, etc. models that were built back then?
            >
            > Paul
            >

            > --- "Colin@SpriteParts" <colin@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > ---------------------------------
            > G'day Mike
            >
            > Definitely NO with the hinges? But why, what's
            wrong
            > with yours?
            >
            > The light was a standard Lucas part, probably shared
            > with quite a few cars.
            > Can't give you any specifics but possibly Mini.
            >
            > avagoodday
            > Colin

            removed]

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

            Yahoo!
            > Terms of Service.
            >

            > Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo!
            Movies.
            > http://au.movies.yahoo.com
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor