Re: Project question

  • breadangels
    Message 1 of 3 , May 27, 2007
      Patty--
      This sounds amazing--just the amount of planning that goes into 25
      baking stations--yikes!!!! INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Here's my two cents--it doesn't take that long to cool the breads
      down. So it's there that you can make up your time. I've even taken
      them out a little early and cover them with tin foil right away--
      they still bake a little more--perfection!!
      Making cards and dressing the breads warm still works--
      You might want to bake a few loaves in advance so that they can see
      the finished product--but don't bake them all in advance!!!!!
      Please don't STRESS--WE want you to have FUN--I know, I know, easier
      said than done when you're helping 75 youth "bake a difference."
      Just my bread advice--Any other thoughts???
      Patty, you have to give us all the "bake by bake" when you finish
      your project--
      BREAD kudos~
      KK:)

      --- In spreadthebread@yahoogroups.com, "Patty" <chatz4259@...> wrote:

      > I am coordinating a Bake a Difference program for the Girl Scouts
      in
      > just a couple of weeks for approximately 50-75 girls. We are
      having
      > culinary art students come to teach the girls how to bake, measure
      > ingredients, kitchen safety, etc. I plan on having 20 to 25
      stations
      > set up so each station will have 3 or 4 girls working at it. Each
      > girl will be making 3 "gift size" (mini) loaves of bread. Two of
      the
      > loaves will be donated and the girls will get to take one loaf
      home
      > with them. We are going to be baking the bread in a large church
      > oven. My question is this....The girls mix the dough and the
      loaves
      > go in the oven for almost 40 - 45 minutes. I can keep them busy
      with
      > clean up, "Spread the Bread" education, the importance of
      > volunteerism, where the loaves are going etc. while the loaves are
      > baking...BUT....once the loaves come out of the oven they are
      going
      > to have to cool a bit before we wrap them up. I can see the
      cooling
      > stage taking at LEAST an hour. I want the girls to spend a
      certain
      > amount of time wrapping and decorating the loaves. I only have a
      two
      > hour block of time so how can I pull this project off? I am
      > seriously thinking about pre-baking 100 plus mini loaves loaves so
      > that they are cool and READY to wrap and decorate for donation,
      then,
      > the loaves that come out of the oven that the girls prepared could
      be
      > the ones that the girls get to take home with them.??? I would
      love
      > to hear other suggestions. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
      >
      > Patty Lennon,
      > Membership Services Manager
      > Central Savannah River Council
      > Augusta, Georgia

    • Carrie NY, Troop 443
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2 4:53 PM
        Awesome idea & awesoem project! I'd love to hear how it turns out!
        Carrie NY

        --
        ~~ Carrie "NY" ~~
        Leader to 12 Brownies from Long Island