Taboo -- alert about book and request for feedback

  • Jon Entine
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2000
      To the list:

      I wanted to alert list members to the release, this week, of my book,
      "Taboo: Why Black Athletes Dominate Sports and Why We Are Afraid to Talk

      About It" (PublicAffairs], available January 2000;
      http://www.publicaffairsbooks.com/books/tab.html

      Taboo is both a scientific and sociological look at the controversy of
      human biodiversity applied to sports. It was inspired in part by a
      documentary I wrote and produced with Tom Brokaw for NBC News 10 years
      ago ("Black Athletes--Fact and Fiction") which was named Best Sports
      Film of the Year.

      Among its key points:
      --the postmodernist cant that it is impossible for sub-Saharban blacks
      from West Africa might have a phenotypic and genotypic
      advantage in sports that require speed and jumping is not scientifically
      supportable, particularly in the light of new anthropological
      and genetic research...
      --numerous populations evidence "superior" bio-mechanical and
      physiological advantages in certains sports that cannot be
      explained by environmental factors
      --the socio-history of the 'concept of race,' which I devote numerous
      chapters in outlining, continues to haunt what is otherwise
      a relatively straight forward scientific issue

      As the book is going into a second printing, and will have a separate
      non-North American version (hopefully) that will address non-North
      American sports, I welcome any critical feedback. I understand that Tim
      Noakes has reviewed the book for Physician and Sports Medicine.
      The Kirkus Reviews review calls it: "a brave sprint in the marathon of
      genetic racial equality. Courageous enough to
      ask tough questions about the uneven playing field, forthright enough to
      present hard evidence." The NY Times review is scheduled for January 14.

      The introduction of the book is written by Earl Smith, chairman of the
      sociology department and director of its program on ethnic studies at
      Wake Forest, Earl is also an expert on sports sociology. He writes: "You

      will be accused of spouting old fashioned racism for even raising the
      issue of African American superiority in athletics. All this beating
      around the bush has to stop. This is a good book. I am quite excited
      with the arguments that are raised." [Earl is African American]

      Again, any critical feedback welcomed.

      --
      Jon Entine
      6178 Grey Rock Rd.

      http://www.jonentine.com

      Author of "Taboo: Why Black Athletes Dominate Sports and Why We Are