Re: CE - What does it mean ?

  • GBSHAUN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 1999
      > ARI BUNTMAN asks:
      On many items, including Polar Heart Rate monitors,
      > sunglasses and certain medical equipment, there is a sign of two letters
      > which look like the english letters 'CE'. Does anyone know what these
      > letters actually stand for and what their exact meaning is?

      The CE mark is an indication that the product meets European Conformity
      requirements for sale and distribution in Europe. If you keep you eyes open
      you'll see it on a complete range of producs. I recently saw it on a jigsaw
      puzzle even! (presumably under "Toys" - to prevent infants choking)
      There are many sections with their own directives : medical, electomagnetic
      disturbance, bicycle helmets, electronic etc etc.
      The Polar heart monitor system would certainly need one as it transmits a
      signal from the strap to the watch part.

      Depending on the type of product, its use, duration, and user environment, CE
      marking requirements range from preparing declarations of conformity by the
      company to certification of product design and quality systems by a registrar
      based in Europe.

      Further information is availabe at (a commercial site)
      http://www.cetest.nl/cemark0.htm

      regards
      Shaun Wallace

      Wallace Altitude Tent Systems LLC