Force/time characteristics in kayak races

  • david liow
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 1999
      I'm currently completing my Masters thesis on the effects of slow- and
      explosive-training on kayak sprint performance at Otago University, New
      Zealand. The only paper I could find on Sportdiscus that measured force
      characteristics of kayak strokes looked at the average force/time curve for
      strokes over a 500-m race (Aitken and Neal, 1992). Does anyone know of any
      published research investigating changes in force production patterns at
      the start of the sprint vs. when at maximal speed?
      I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who has used on-water kayak
      analysis systems during training or testing and observed sprint start force
      characteristics.
      Have any other researchers in rowing or running looked at differences in
      force production at the start of races compared to when racers are at
      maximal speed?

      I'd also be extremely grateful to anyone that could send/fax me a copy of
      the following abstract that appeared in the Australian Conference of Science
      and Medicine in Sport, NationalConvention Centre,Canberra 7-10 October
      1997:abstracts, Bruce A.C.T., Sports Medicine Australia, 1997, p.208-209.

      Logan,-P.-A; Baker,-J; Kelly,-B; Walker,-J. (1997). Force production
      characteristics of top level sprint kayak athletes: on-water paddling versus
      dry-land resistance training exercises - abstract

      Please contact me directly if you can help. I'll post any answers as a
      summary.

      Thanks

      Dave Liow

    • MATILDE ESPINOSA SANCHEZ
      Message 2 of 2 , May 18, 1999
        Dear David,

        I am currently doing some about kayaking kinematics, paddle cycle and
        the start.

        The only bibliografy I have got about flat water kayaking are two old
        articles and books:
        1. Plagenhoef, Stanley
        Biomechanical Analysis of Olimpic Flatwater Kayaking and Canoeing
        Research Quarterly, 1979, Vol. 50, No. 3, pp 443-459

        2. Mann, Ralph and Kearney, Jay
        A biomechanical analysis of the Olympic-style flatwater kayak stroke.
        Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 1980, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp
        183-188
        --------
        1. Andras Toro
        CANOEING: An Olympic Sport.
        Printed in the United States of America, 1986
        English.
        The subject you are looking for is not too much in detail.

        2. Csaba Szanto and Frank C Dallos.
        Olympic Kayak and Canoe handbook.
        Printed in the United States of America, 1987
        English.
        The authors are hungarian.
        This book is more for training.

        3. Several spanish authors
        Piraguismo.
        Edited by the Spanish Olympic Committee, 1993.
        Spanish.
        This includes materiar (the subject you are looking for) from different
        (russian and other) athors:
        - Isourin, V. B.
        - Ganzenko, V.
        - Dolkin, A.
        - Nikanorov, A.
        - Usoskin,
        - Herrero, E.
        - Lete,
        - Vauxel, H., Van Hoecke, J., Meunier, P.
        - Lete, Y.
        - Boudeau, A.

        I could send copies of this material to you, if you are interested.

        If you get some other information please share it with me.

        Greetings.

        Mat.

        .. M. en C. Matilde Espinosa-Sanchez
        . . Area de Biomecanica.