Re: Strength X Flexibility references

  • Denilson Costa
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 1999
      >Hello,
      >
      >Are you looking for studies that have found strength training to interfere
      with
      >flexibility? Good luck.

      Were looking for any kind of interference, both positive or negative. Were
      not assuming a negative interference must occur as you say, but we need
      references, just it.

      >The only thing you'll find is when people weight
      >training do not stretch, they lose flexibility.

      I dont think this idea is substantiated by actual studies, is it ? Some
      research done on rats shows that a hypertrophied muscle is more elastic and
      will tear if submitted to abnormal range of motion stretching much latter
      than control rats muscles.

      If you have any references stating that a stretching program must be
      implemented in addition to full range weight training to avoid flexibility
      losses please send it to this group.

      Anyway muscles contract and "stretch" while engaged in any dynamic phisical
      actvity such as weight training. The degree of the stretch ocurring is
      determined by the range of motion used in the exercises.

      Otherwise the effect of "exclusive" use of "partial range" of motion
      strength exercises on flexibility would be an interesting issue to be
      adressed.

      > I would be very surprised if
      >you find anything that says you lose flexibility while strctching on a
      weight
      >training program.

      That wasnt the point, but I appreciate your comments.

      >Jeff Cardinal
      >San Jose State University

      Thanks Jeff

      Douglas wrote:

      >I was interested in this two a number of years ago. I found that muscle
      hypertrophy, if done through a full ROM, does not compromise the ability of
      muscle fiber to stretch. However, it could be possible for some
      individuals to become so hypertrophied that they alter pennation angles.

      Agreeded, and very big muscles could for some joints possibly limit room for
      movment, not due to a non flexible state of the muscle, but due to a
      reduction in free space, now ocuppied by big muscles. This can be seen in
      some very big lifters which barely can do full squats or some bodybuilders
      which cant touch their shoulders with their hands due to a very big biceps
      and forearm muscles.

      Thanks Douglas

      Also thanks Andrew for your references list

      Denilson Costa, Brasil