Best graphing software?

  • Will Hopkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2011
      I need your recommendations for good graphing software (GraphPad, Prism,
      SigmaPlot, Stata, whatever) for the PC platform. I want software that will
      allow successful transfer of its graphics to Powerpoint for further
      manipulation for a slideshow or a figure in a publication.

      Up until now I have used Excel, then pasted the graphics into Powerpoint for
      taking apart and cleaning up. This approach worked well in Office 2003, but
      in Office 2007 and 2010 you get various kinds of corruption when you ungroup
      the graphics. For this and other reasons I kept Office 2003 along with 2007,
      but now my institution is moving to the Windows 2007 platform and the IT
      people can't or won't get a license to keep supporting Office 2003. In any
      case, I can't go on using 2003 forever, and Excel is pretty basic even in
      the 2007 version. So I am turning my back on the Excel+Powerpoint combo.

      I have tried the OpenOffice equivalent of Powerpoint as a possible solution,
      but I have found it to be quite klunky and too different from Powerpoint to
      be worth persevering with. Also, I would have to copy slides into Powerpoint
      for taking to conferences and workshops, and I found too many problems with
      that operation.

      I have discovered that I can copy from Excel 2003 to Powerpoint 2007 with an
      acceptably low level of problems. (If it worked going from Excel 2007 to
      Powerpoint 2007, I wouldn't be sending this message.) I did it by
      pasting-special into Powerpoint as an enhanced or Windows metafile, then
      ungrouping. This finding gives me hope that other graphing packages will
      produce graphics that don't get too corrupted when pasted into Powerpoint
      2007. Can you please check whether your graphing package allows you to paste
      into Powerpoint in this manner without turning the graph into a shambles
      when it is ungrouped?

      As always, I will post a summary. This one might also be worth writing up
      as an in-brief item at Sportscience.

      Thanks.

      Will
      Will G Hopkins, PhD FACSM