Professor/Reader in Sports Studies, University of Kent, UK

  • James Hopker
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2010

      Dear all,

      Please find information below regarding a new newly advertised position at the University of Kent, Chatham, UK.

      The Role

      The Centre for Sports Studies is seeking to appoint a Director of Research to lead its research team and ambitions. The job purpose is to provide teaching, research, strategic and operational leadership to the Centre and make an outstanding research contribution. We are looking to appoint a senior researcher who can demonstrate both a clear record of publications in top quality journals and the successful award of grant applications.

      This position has been created due to the rapid development and early success of our researchers and the overall expansion of the department. Ultimately, we are looking to develop a top-rated research profile for the Centre, particularly in our developing themes in areas allied to Sports Science, Sports Therapy and Exercise and Health.

      The Person

      The successful candidate will have a PhD in the subject area and relevant teaching experience at degree level. Successful completion of world-leading or internationally excellent research, including publication in refereed academic journals is essential, as is evidence of securing external research funding.

      Up-to-date, detailed and advanced knowledge of a subject area relevant to Centre's activities will be required and evidence of ability to obtain competitive research grants from UK Research Councils or other external sources is key. Research and research management skills are essential and excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills appropriate for leadership, teaching and representational duties will be necessary. Enthusiasm to assist the development of colleagues and students and evidence of a personal contribution and commitment to excellence in both teaching and research are essential to this position.

      The Department

      The Centre for Sports Studies is poised to become one of the most exciting and innovative Sports departments in the UK. Based on the Medway Campus this ambitious department was set up at the University of Kent in 2001. Our aim is to establish the University of Kent as one of the leading institutions in the UK for Sport.

      The Centre for Sports Studies delivers the University's undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Sport-related subjects. Our undergraduate programmes consist of a BSc (Hons) in Sport Therapy, and in Sports Science, and a BA (Hons) in Sports and Exercise Management. At postgraduate level the Centre runs an MSc in Sports Therapy and Rehabilitation, in addition to its MPhil/PhD research degree programme. A BSc in Sport and Exercise for Health, and a professional doctorate programme are currently being validated.

      For further information visit: www.kent.ac.uk/sports-studies  and www.centreforsportstudies.co.uk

      Closing date for applications: 29 April 2010

      Interviews are expected to be held: week commencing 17 May 2010

      Please see the links below to view the full job description and also to apply for this post (please do not send your application directly to the department).

      For further information and to apply on-line please visit the University of Kent's website at http://www.kent.ac.uk/jobs/

      How to apply - for posts of this nature you will be required to fill in the main details section as well as upload your CV, a one page summary (this should include details of experience and other information in support of your application with direct reference to the advertisement and further particulars) and any supporting documents

      Regards,

      James

      ____________________________
      Dr. James Hopker