Why Genes Aren't Destiny

  • Steven Plisk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2010
      Colleagues,

      In the current issue of Time magazine, there's a fascinating cover story on epigenetics entitled "Why Genes Aren't Destiny":
      http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1951968,00.html

      The take-away message is that the choices we make and stressors we experience can influence our genetic expression as well as those of our children. While the body of research is relatively young, certain nutritional factors have been shown to have powerful effects. Going forward it will be interesting to see what's revealed about exercise and other environmental factors.

      At one point the article quotes science author David Shenk: the epigenetics paradigm "reveals how bankrupt the phrase 'nature versus nurture' really is." It seems that we should be thinking in terms of nature via nurture.

      Regards,

      Steven Plisk
      Excelsior Sports
      Shelton CT