ACADEMIC RESEARCH TO SUPPORT THE FINDINGS /TECHNIQUES OF CHARLES POLIQUIN

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2008
      I am strongly considering purchasing the Poliquin Theory Level One
      Manual and taking his Level One classes to get his certification.

      Although his resume is very impressive and speaks for itself I would
      appreciate it if any one knows of any independent critiques from
      academia concerning his findings and techniques.

      I thank you.

      Mark Cotton, CPT
      New Jersey, USA
    • Ian Shrier
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2008
        I know Charles Poliquin from a long time ago when we served on a
        committee together. I think he is a great presenter and an even better
        salesman.

        I agree with you that his resume speaks for itself.

        His website says he has over "600 articles for various magazines,
        websites and peer-reviewed journals." I did a PubMed and Web of
        Science search on "Poliquin C". I came up with 8 hits, none of which
        are related to him as far as I can tell. There were 44 hits on Sport
        Discus, mostly in lay magazines. There was one article in NSCA in
        1989, and one in 1988. Otherwise, the articles listed are
        presentations, or Coaching Review, Sports Coach, and journals/
        magazines of that sort. I look forward to someone pointing out which
        peer-reviewed journals he has published in.

        His website also says "While completing graduate studies in Exercise
        Physiology in Canada...". I looked through the website to find out
        where he graduated from and could not find anything. Perhaps you could
        find out and let us know.

        Ian Shrier MD, PhD, Dip Sport Med, FACSM
        Associate Professor, Dep't of Fam Med, McGill University
        Past-President, Canadian Academy of Sport Medicine
        Check out: www.casm-acms.org
        SKYPE name: ian.shrier

        Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Community Studies
        SMBD-Jewish General Hospital
        3755 Cote Ste-Catherine Rd
        Montreal, Qc H3T 1E2
        Tel: 514-340-7563
        Fax: 514-340-7564

        On 1-Jun-08, at 10:36 AM, Mark wrote:

        > I am strongly considering purchasing the Poliquin Theory Level One
        > Manual and taking his Level One classes to get his certification.
        >
        > Although his resume is very impressive and speaks for itself I would
        > appreciate it if any one knows of any independent critiques from
        > academia concerning his findings and techniques.
        >
        > I thank you.
        >
        > Mark Cotton, CPT
        > New Jersey, USA

        > Groups Links

      • John Caoussias
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
          Hi Ian,

          I've known Charles Poliquin for a few years, he's on the cutting edge of the practical aspects in sports performance, but he is very controversial........his training programs include a wide variety of sports supplements (some questionable) but some really good training principles.........you may say avant garde...........he knows muscle physiology and adaptation very well.

          He did do his MSc. at Ottawa University.........this I know.

          You are right about the articles, they are mostly in trade publications ..........but it's because he is controversial that he doesn't publish much. He does have quite a few athletes under his belt...........Olympic calibre.

          John Caoussias
          Kinesiologist
          Co-Founder and Director
          Cardiogenix Medical Center
          514-731-2491 x227
        • Anthony Shield
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
            I started reading some of Poloquin's work in the late 80's. At the time he made some mostly convincing arguments on the basis of the evidence that was available (but limited) at the time. He would reference a number of papers that are best described as basic muscle physiology and draw mostly sensible inferences from them.

            In recent times many of the claims he has made in his written work extend well beyond what can be supported by scientific literature. As one of my students recently said, he appears to have "gone a little bit Hollywood", which is a trap that many of the industry 'gurus' fall into in an attempt to promote themselves. Nevertheless, he has years of practical experience at the sharp end and tapping into that can't be too bad. Most academically minded folk are aware that the theories behind many conventional sports conditioning practices are incorrect - as long as people recognise this I can't see too many problems in attending a course. With regard to publications these are mostly in fitness industry magazines and very little work has appeared in peer-reviewed journals.

            Perhaps the cost would be a determining factor? I hear that these courses are quite expensive.

            Dr Anthony Shield
            Senior Lecturer & Program Coordinator
            Discipline of Exercise Science
            School of Medical Sciences