DXA estimation of skeletal muscle mass

  • karl cooke
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2005

      Kim J, Heshka S, Gallagher D, Kotler DP, Mayer L, Albu J, Shen W, Freda PU, Heymsfield SB. (2004). Intermuscular adipose tissue-free skeletal muscle mass: estimation by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry in adults. J Appl Physiol. 2004 Aug; 97(2):655-60. Epub 2004 Apr 16

      DXA estimation is normally derived from validation studies using MRI measurements of skeletal muscle mass and so if you may wish to search PubMed with DXA and MRI as search criteria you should be able to find a few more studies.

      In our laboratory we have been using DXA to estimate skeletal muscle mass and would be happy to share experiences with others also using this method

      Regards,

      Karl Cooke

      Human Performance Laboratory

      London Institute for Sport & Exercise