Re: More Re: Partial correlations

  • Andrew.Pinder@hsl.gov.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2004
      Will has raised the issue of partial correlations. A former colleague of
      mine was fond of them as a method of removing the effect of a covariate
      from a correlation. He used a "correction for attenuation" which I
      understood to be a method for correcting for sample size. The source he
      quoted was GH Ferguson (1976), Statistical Analysis in Psychology and
      Education, 4th ed, McGraw-Hill, New York.
      I've also found a couple of pages of explanation in SE Maxwell and HD
      Delaney (1990), Designing Experiments and Analysing Data. A Model
      Comparison Perspective, Brooks/Cole, Pacific Grove CA (p124-125).

      Regards

      Andrew

      Dr Andrew Pinder, PhD, MSc, Eur Erg, MErgS
      Ergonomics Section
      Health and Safety Laboratory, Broad Lane, Sheffield, S3 7HQ, UK
      Email: Andrew.Pinder@...
      Tel +44 114 289 2594; Fax +44 114 289 2526
      HSL home page: http://www.hsl.gov.uk/
      HSE home page: http://www.hse.gov.uk/index.htm