FW: Will's questions/comments on GLM & transformations

  • Winter, Edward M
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2004
      I inadvertently sent my reply to Dwight only and not the whole group.

      I hope my attempt to be helpful with the Tabachnick and Fidell reference succeeds.

      Dear Dwight

      Some useful suggestions and in support, Tabachnick and Fidell in their 1996 Using Multivariate Statistics, 3rd edn recommend
      transformations for different types of non-normally distributed data. Page 83 has a particularly useful figure.

      In short, as you rightly indicate, log-transformations are not necessarily the ones to use.

      Best wishes.

      Professor Edward M Winter
      The Centre for Sport and Exercise Science
      Sheffield Hallam University
      Collegiate Hall
      Collegiate Crescent Campus
      SHEFFIELD S10 2BP

      Tel 0114 225 4333 (International +44 114 225 4333)
      Fax 0114 225 4341 (International +44 114 225 4341)
      e-mail e.m.winter@...
      www.thecentreforsport.com