1RM trength testing in the elderly

  • St-Onge Maxime
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2004

      I’m in need of information regarding strength testing, mostly maximal voluntary dynamic strength in older individuals.  We are using the widely used and old fashion 1-RM strength testing procedure.  Unfortunately, we often are unable to really achieve a valid 1-RM measurement and are forced to use a equation to assess the maximal weight from 2,3 or 4 maximal repetitions since our subjects are not always able to perform the single lift.  Some equations exist to estimated the 1-RM strength but, they are not necessarily representative of our sample population [1-5].  Looking through the literature (medline, pubmed, sportdiscus, ovid) I could not find a single text on the origin and justification of the 1-RM testing procedure yet, it is widely use in most study relying on resistance training as a primary intervention.  It also appears that there is some form of disagreement upon the normalisation and presentation of the data [6, 7].

      My interrogations are:

      1. Should we transform a number of maximal reps into a 1-RM (if we were unable to achieve a true 1-RM) with a equation in order to assess strength and to compare the evolution of strength (ie: before intervention, after) ?
        1. If so, what would be the proper criteria for equation selection ?
      2. How should we present data (relative strength weight lifted/kg body weight, or more complex ratio equation including body weight²?) to compare between subject strength ?
      3. How many testing sessions are required to achieve a true 1-RM [8] ?

      Thank you,

      Maxime St-Onge

      Agent de Recherche

      Unité Métabolique