classification of sports by physiological demands

  • Joe Baker
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2002
      Dear Group,

      I am trying to analyze some data pertaining to early sport involvement of
      Ironman triathletes. Typically, triathletes come to the sport of triathlon
      from other sports (usually running). I am trying to examine the role that
      other sports may have played in predisposing them to achievement in
      triathlon through general cardiovascular adaptations to sports sharing
      similar task demands (e.g., rowing). To this end, I am trying to find a
      classification system that categorizes sports by their physiological
      demands but have not been able to find anything beyond general taxonomies
      of sport, which categorize by rules and objectives of the activity. If
      anyone knows of any system or information that might be helpful I would
      appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

      joe baker.

      Joe Baker
      School of Physical and Health Education
      Queen's University
      Kingston, ON CANADA
      Email: 9jrb@...
      Phone: 613 533 6000 ext. 78207

      __o
      -\<,
      ( ) / ( )

      --------
      View all messages at http://sportsci.org/forum. Click on the links
      to JOIN, UNJOIN, alter MAIL OPTIONS, or get INFO/HELP on acceptable
      messages.