Muscle fibre density

  • Håkan Andersson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2002
      I have been told that elite weightlifters have greater fibre density than bodybuilders but I haven't been able to find any data to support that statement. I have 5 meters of literature in my private library and I have searched the medline with very limited result, that's why I decided to question the sport science list. I wonder if anyone could suggest some article/book regarding different weight training protocols effect on muscle fibre density?
      Håkan Andersson
      Sundsvall Sweden
    • Dr. Bill Misner, Ph.D.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2002
        Hello Håkan,
        You may find a description of increased hyperplasia mechanisms in elite
        weightlifters as compared to those training-induced muscle composite
        outcome as a result of competitive bodybuilding.

        Antonio, J, & W.J. Gonyea (1993) Progressive stretch overload of avian
        muscle results in muscle fiber hypertrophy prior to hyperplasia. Journal of
        Applied Physiology 75(3) p1263-1271.

        Antonio, J, & W.J. Gonyea, (1993) Skeletal muscle fiber hyperplasia.
        Medical Science Sport & Exercise. 25(12) p1333-1345.

        Hather, B.M., P. A. Tesch, P. Buchanan, & Dudley. (1991) Influence of
        eccentric actions on skeletal muscle adaptations to resistance training.
        Acta. Physiol. Scand. 143: p177-185.

        --------
        View all messages at http://sportsci.org/forum. Click on the links
        to JOIN, UNJOIN, alter MAIL OPTIONS, or get INFO/HELP on acceptable
        messages.