Energy cost of load carriage at various speeds

  • Forbes-Ewan, Chris
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2001
      Does anyone have good data on the energy costs of load carriage at low
      speeds?

      Based on a model developed by the US military, a researcher in Australia
      estimates that the power output involved carrying 60 kg at 2.5 kph in the
      'real world' is about 400 watts. Based on treadmill studies we have
      conducted, my estimate is about 550 watts for this activity conducted on the
      level.

      Because it is likely that overground walking will involve some hill climbing
      too, I would expect the field situation to lead to a power output closer to
      600 watts than 400 (assuming our lab data are correct).

      The researcher also says that 'I have a USA paper that documented a 20 km
      march with soldiers carrying 46 kg in just over 5 hours which comes to about
      410 watts'.

      These figures (~400 watts) seem to be too low, especially for a load of 46
      kg carried at 4 kph.

      Can anyone shed any light on this, please.

      Chris Forbes-Ewan

      Senior Nutritionist
      Defence Nutrition Research Centre
      76 George St
      SCOTTSDALE Tas 7260
      AUSTRALIA

      Phone: Int + 61 3 6352 6607 (03 6352 6607 in Australia)
      Fax: Int + 61 3 6352 3044 (03 6352 3044 in Australia)

      E-mail: chris.forbes-ewan@...

      The opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and
      should not be taken to represent the official position of the Defence
      Science and Technology Organisation or of the Australian Department of
      Defence

      --------
      View all messages at http://sportsci.org/forum. Click on the links
      to JOIN, UNJOIN, alter MAIL OPTIONS, or get INFO/HELP on acceptable
      messages.