important comment on SiS vs MS

  • The ScottMan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2000
      hi everyone,

      i just wanted to add an important comment on the SiS (single set,as opposed
      to Super Slow). I remember Mr. Steven Plisk making a point in a past review
      about the factor of "impulse and motor control" and I want to say that i
      could not agree more with the importance of that concept. This is why using
      free weights has certain advantages over using machines. Now, i design
      equipment that uses both, but I understand Mr. Plisk's arguments.
      When I wrote my comments in the 'it rages on' group mail sent out, i mention
      physiology quite a bit and the interrelationship between it and psychology
      (as it relates to pushing oneself- exertion) in those of serious athletes
      vs. those who are more recreational. I recieved email recently from someone
      who also made a great point about neurological stimulus and development.
      And it's worth emphasizing that motor control and the functional enhancement
      of neural pathways can be the defining factor in determining who excels in
      certain sports requiring exceptional motor skills and coordination.
      I would only end this by saying that no matter what system is used (SiS or
      MS, and whatever else is out there), as long as everyone tries to be more
      aware of the enemy of overtraining, the difference in performance parameters
      between various exercising populations, and the concept of Specificity of
      Training, we can begin to sort out some of the confusion we're dealing with.

      Thanks,
      Scott