What is fitness?

  • peakpcc@uswest.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2000
      Dear Sir,
      I have read a lot of your material and think you are
      extremely knowledgeable. I have a dilemma. A person i know
      (who considers himself a scientist) is telling people they
      are unfit if they can not:
      A. Run a mile in 6 min. for males
      B. Row 2000 meters in a certain amount of time.
      For the rowing he takes your body weight runs it through

      the calculation to determine your met level, and then of
      course compares that to the standardized guidelines put out
      by concept 2. The people who put out the Concept 2 rowing
      ergometer. He states that because i weigh 240 and have a
      2000 meter time of 7:57, that i am unfit.
      Now granted, i was an Olympic Weightlifter all of my
      life except for high school sports and Recreational sports,
      but can you say i am unfit just because i don't meet these
      standardized calculations? Can a marathon runner carry
      100lbs up five flights of stairs or squat 500lbs? Are they
      unfit?'
      If one person is 250 lbs and a strength athlete, and
      another athlete is a 175lb marathon runner, can you compare
      them and say one is unfit?
      I would very much appreciate any help you can give me
      with this. I know you are very busy but if you could give me

      any help on this i would very much appreciate it. If you can

      only point me in the right direction i would be grateful.

      Sincerely,
      Darin Daniels