gas analysis

  • Turi Braun, Ph.D
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2000
      Hello,
      I have a MedGraphics VO2 analysis system (BreezEx) with which I have been
      having problems with the FIO2. The system calibrates fine to reference and
      calibration gas concentrations; and, once calibration is completed, the
      system reads room air just fine. However, once I begin collecting data, the
      FIO2 takes a considerable dive: presently down to 20.70% rather than the
      20.93% that is room air. This is having a significant effect on the
      validity of my VO2 data.

      My question is has anyone experienced similar problems with this system? I
      have tried everything I can think of to figure out why FIO2 is taking a
      dive and no luck (nor with the company). They analyzed my O2 module and
      insist it is performing properly. The O2 cell has been recently replaced,
      sample lines, desiccant etc..nothing has corrected the drop in FIO2.
      Strangely, the FICO2 does recover without problem following an expiration.
      So, the problem seems to be only on the O2 side.
      Any ideas? Thanks,

      William A. (Turi) Braun, Ph.D.
      Assistant Professor
      Department of Kinesiology and Health Promotion
      California State Polytechnic University
      Pomona, CA 91768
      (909) 869-2771
      (909) 869-4797 Fax