Juvenile Racing Distances

  • Pat McSweeney by way of Will Hopkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17 3:11 PM
      I am urgently seeking information regarding up-to-date
      studies/research on track & field/cross-country racing distances for
      juvenile athletes (i.e. from the youngest age-group to 18 years of
      age) both male and female.
      Presently, here in Ireland, adolescent athletes race over adult
      racing distances in most events for most age groups. This would
      appear to be counter productive to properly developing young
      athletes. For example,12 year old girls race adult racing distances
      for 100, 800 and 1500 meter distances in provincial and national
      track & field championships. This situation would seem to lead to
      under-developing the speed of young athletes.
      This subject was raised recently at an athletics meeting which I
      attended here in Ireland, so I thought I might look further afield to
      see what is happening in this whole area of juvenile athletics, which
      I feel is of critical importance in the development of the athletes
      of tomorrow. I would be much obliged if you could help in any way in
      this regard.

      Yours in sport,
      Pat McSweeney