Audio files on the website - is there a boffin on the list?

  • Darren ONeil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2004
      Hi all,

      I've just sent a post to SPOPEN which mentions that old Party tapes
      are now able to be transferred onto computer and eventually onto CD
      if they are in demand.

      I'm just posting to ask if there are members on the list who would
      know the logistics of placing audio files on either our website or
      the main WSM website? The thing I have in mind is something similar
      to the following the website that a member of the SWP/IST tradition
      has put together: http://www.geocities.com/resistancemp3/

      I was wondering how much webspace we would need to put audio files on
      the website? How much the cost would be? And how we can ensure that
      the audios would be of sufficient quality, 'cos the sound quality of
      some of the audio files/downloads on the above mentioned site are a
      bit ropey.

      I'm not suggesting that we can put every Party tape on such a site -
      the physical act of transferring the the tapes can be time consuming
      and some of the tapes are more of historical interest - but there is
      a case of putting both old recordings and more recent recordings on
      the website for free download to those people who are interested.

      I mentioned in my other post the series of meetings done by Steve
      Coleman that were excellent but there are a great many recordings
      that deal with theory, debates with opponents etc etc that are
      equally excellent and should be made available.

      Can anyone on the list help with the technical questions?

      Do members think it is a viable idea to have such audio recordings on
      the website? (It ties in with Central London Branch's Item for
      discussion for conference on the subject of the Party's use of the
      internet.)

      Regards,

      Darren O'Neil
      (Central London Branch)