Regarding the limitations of Spinoza's definition of jealousy

  • aahouse10
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2005
      In the Ethics, Spinoza gives the following order of proof for his definition of
      jealousy. He gives three people. We can hypothetically call them John,
      Mary and Roberto.

      He begins with John and Mary. John loves Mary, and thus seeks Mary's
      approval. But if he finds out that Mary likes Roberto, his feeling of approval
      will be checked by the image of Roberto who Mary has joined to herself.

      The Ethics instructs John to turn his mind to God's infinite mind, and stop
      imagining himself to be at the center of the world, and the world about
      himself.

      But my question is this:

      If John did do as the Ethics instructs, and really let go of his jealousy,
      wouldn't Mary and Roberto find him attractive, and start the entire process
      all over again? Is this a solution? Or just a vicious circle?