Results of slow reading ETHICS in real space

  • ethel jean saltz
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004
      This is what I took from slow reading ETHICS in two different
      institutions with a lapse of 10 years. So I guess I just let Spinoza
      geometrically make the connections. This is to present my bias.

      ETHICS Quotes

      Part I, last paragraph

      .... To those who ask why God did not so create all men,
      that they should be governed only by reason, I give no answer
      but this: because matter was not lacking to him for the creation
      of every degree of perfection from highest to lowest; or, more
      strictly, because the laws of his nature are so vast, as to
      suffice for the production of everything conceivable by an
      infinite intelligence, as I have shown in Prop. xvi.
      Such are the misconceptions I have undertaken to note; if there
      are any more of the same sort, everyone may easily dissipate
      them for himself with the aid of a little reflection.
      END OF PART I

      Part II

      P XXXV
      Falsity consists in the privation of knowledge, which
      inadequate, fragmentary, or confused ideas involve.

      P XLI
      Knowledge of the first kind is the only source of falsity,
      knowledge of the second and third kinds is necessarily true.
      foregoing note) assigned all those ideas, which are inadequate
      and confused; therefore this kind of knowledge is the only
      source of falsity (II. xxxv.). Furthermore, we assigned to the
      second and third kinds of knowledge those ideas which are
      adequate; therefore these kinds are necessarily true (II.
      xxxiv.). Q.E.D.

      P XLVIII
      In the mind there is no absolute or free will; but the
      mind is determined to wish this or that by a cause, which has
      also been determined by another cause, and this last by another
      cause, and so on to infinity.

      Part III

      P IV
      Nothing can be destroyed, except by a cause external to
      itself.
      definition of anything affirms the essence of that thing, but
      does not negative it; in other words, it postulates the essence
      of the thing, but does not take it away. So long therefore as
      we regard only the thing itself, without taking into account
      external causes, we shall not be able to find in it anything
      which could destroy it. Q.E.D.

      P XIII.
      When the mind conceives things which diminish or hinder the
      body's power of activity, it endeavours, as far as possible, to
      remember things which exclude the existence of the first-named
      things.

      Part IV

      PREFACE
      Human infirmity in moderating and checking the emotions I name
      bondage:
      for, when a man is a prey to his emotions, he is not his own master, but
      lies at the mercy of fortune: so much so, that he is often compelled,
      while seeing that which is better for him, to follow that which is
      worse.
      Why this is so, and what is good or evil in the emotions, I propose to
      show in this part of my treatise.

      P VI.
      The force of any passion or emotion can overcome the rest of a
      man's activities or
      power, so that the emotion becomes obstinately fixed to him.

      P VIII.
      The knowledge of good and evil is nothing else but the emotions
      of pleasure
      or pain, in so far as we are conscious thereof.

      P XV.
      Desire arising from the knowledge of good and bad can be
      quenched or checked by many of the other desires arising from the
      emotions whereby we are assailed.

      P XLII.
      Mirth cannot be excessive, but is always good; contrariwise,
      Melancholy is always bad.

      Prop. XLIV.
      Love and desire may be excessive.

      P. XLV.
      Hatred can never be good.

      Prop. XLVII.
      Emotions of hope and fear cannot be in themselves good.

      Prop. XLVIII.
      The emotions of over-esteem and disparagement are always bad.

      Prop. LII.
      Self-approval may arise from reason, and that which arises
      from reason is the highest possible.

      Prop. LIV.
      Repentance is not a virtue, or does not arise from reason ; but he
      who repents of an action is doubly wretched or infirm.

      Prop. LV.
      Extreme pride or dejection indicates extreme ignorance of self.

      --
      Ethel Jean Saltz, be-emet oo-ve-ahavah oo-ve-shalom
      I will NOT submit, MMMMMR;) Jews Created God