RE: [spinoza-ethics] Re: can u please solve ?

  • subtillioN
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2004
      Hi Iris,

      >Our bodies are a modification or mode of the Atribute of Extension or
      matter and our minds are a modification or mode of the Attribute of
      Thought.<

      I am writing a paper on Spinoza's epistemology and I was wondering what the
      competing schools of thought are on the explanation of his attributes. What
      accounts for the separateness and what accounts for the union? I know
      Spinoza's text on the matter fairly well, but his explanation of this part
      of his system leaves much to be desired in terms of a causal or structural
      relationship. I have my own interpretation that seems to ground the
      correlation in the necessary structure of modality, a sort of "breaking of
      symmetry" from substance to mode. This accounts for what I call "Spinoza's
      epistemic duality", and this duality can be seen in all of philosophy, such
      as Pierre Teilhard de Chardin's the Within and the Without, Kant's noumenon
      and phenomenon, Buckminster Fullers nucleation of observability encapsulated
      in his enigmatic statement "unity is plural and at minimum two", the ideas
      of subjectivity and objectivity, Leibniz's monad, etc.

      Have you heard of any other interpretations like this that attempt to give a
      physical, structural or geometrical grounding? ...and if so can you point me
      to the resources?

      Kind Regards,
      Joel Morrison
      www.anpheon.org

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 9, 2004
        i apologize for responding so late, but i have only just joined the
        group. i hope that my reply is still relevant.

        my best answer to your question is a reference to Ethics Bk IV, Pr 67,
        which states:
        a free man thinks least of death, and his wisdom is a meditation not
        of death, but of life.

        of course, 'free man' is a specialized term requiring understanding of
        Spinoza's specific usage, and it would be best to read through the
        entirety of Bk IV for context.

        --- In spinoza-ethics@yahoogroups.com, krishna kishore
        <kishore_recw3@y...> wrote:
        > hi everybody.
        > i feel dejected when i think of the imminent death we
        > are going to face.What kind of theory had spinoza
        > proposed to such doubts?

        __