Three kinds of knowledge

  • devilfish1955
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003
      Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me understand the three
      kinds of knowledge. I know what each one is, but I dont really know
      how you accire them, or how you would know if you had them. If
      anyone has any knowledge of this, I need to know ASAP!!! Thanks!
    • ethel jean saltz
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
        I have been contemplating this too. I do believe anatomically in the
        Triune Brain model by Paul Maclean. I haven't made it fit Spinoza's 3
        kinds of knowledge, but I wonder if it can be made to fit.

        The rational brain operating system, the emotional brain operating
        system, the reptilian or basic needs brain operating system. I'm so
        biased with the Triune Brain that I try to make it fit every
        philosopher's rendition.

        --
        Be-ahavah oo-ve-shalom oo-ve-emet, Ethel Jean Saltz
        I will not submit;) Don't Hate -> Educate
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 18, 2004
          --- In spinoza-ethics@yahoogroups.com, "devilfish1955"
          <EKitzman@e...> wrote:
          > Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me understand the three
          > kinds of knowledge. I know what each one is, but I dont really know
          > how you accire them, or how you would know if you had them. If
          > anyone has any knowledge of this, I need to know ASAP!!! Thanks!
          Hello devilfish,
          My name is Iris. Spinoza describes 4 kinds of knowledge and then
          reduses them to three because the first two deal with our
          understanding or our learning according to our sences alone and do
          not involve our thinking. hear-say comes from our forming premises
          about ourselves or the world because of what we "heard said" and
          since we then agreed or gave ascent (as Spinoza would say) to these
          ideas we then see life selectively and usually only see what agrees
          with the premises we formed at a very early age. Mere experience is
          also on the level of our sences - it reqresents an experience which
          has not been thought through but accepted as true. The problem with
          living our lives on these lower levels is that we cannot know that
          what we think about ourselves or life and others is true.
          In The IOU Spinoza gives us the method to look at our ideas to find
          our if they are true. We use the standard of Truth or ask ourselves
          and hopefully others (others bring reality to our confused thinking)
          is this premise I have true? we then according to Spinoza can use
          reason, a thinking about our thinking, or an idea of our ideas to
          determine if what we believe is true. for example a person may find
          that they don't seem able to get close to other individuals. Upon
          introspection it becomes clear that because this person could not
          rely on his parents to take care of him- he came to the belief- the
          only one you can trust is yourself dont get close to others or you
          will be hurt. so he lives a life in a form of isolation. If he could
          have an idea of his premise and study the truth of it he could change
          his mind so to speak, attain adequate ideas and since "the quality
          of our lives depends on the quality of our understanding" (Spinoza)
          the quality of his life and contacts with others would improve. How
          to use Reson and intuition (which even Spinoza said he knew very few
          things by) is another long discussion.
          I hope this has been of some help in answering your questions.
          Sincerely,
          Iris
        • ethel jean saltz
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2004
            I see 2 kinds of knowledge in the beginning of IV Maccabees. I see this
            dissertation in Spinoza's 3 kinds of knowledge too. The Encyc Judaica
            suggests that IV Maccabees is the earliest historical document that shows
            application of Stoicism into the Jewish culture. This Encyc cdrom also
            suggests that Spinoza was a Stoic. Because Spinoza had a yesheevah
            education, he would have been educated in all this.