A few questions

  • Tahmidal Zami
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2007
      I am in an argument on Atheism. There I encountered the following
      facts.

      1)That the universe is finite and it has boundary although there is no
      outside or nothing outside.
      2) That something can come out of nothing although there was no
      absolute nothing. absolute nothing is physical impossibility. But
      particles come out of nothing.
      3) That indeterminacy is necessary to accept.

      So could anyone elaborate on these things? How can Spinoza's worldview
      be still tenable?
    • Terry Neff
      Message 2 of 2 , May 18, 2007
        Hi Tahmidal,

        You wrote:

        > I am in an argument on Atheism. There I encountered the
        > following facts.
        >
        > 1)That the universe is finite and it has boundary although
        > there is no outside or nothing outside.
        > 2) That something can come out of nothing although there
        > was no absolute nothing. absolute nothing is physical
        > impossibility. But particles come out of nothing.
        > 3) That indeterminacy is necessary to accept.
        >
        > So could anyone elaborate on these things? How can
        > Spinoza's worldview be still tenable?

        You say that these three statements are facts. Do you mean that they
        refer to some truth or reality which your own mind affirms, either directly
        or through some other truths, or do you mean that some particular person or
        group of people have made such statements and you accept that they must
        refer to some absolute truth regardless of whether your own mind affirms or
        negates anything they might refer to?

        If the former, then perhaps you might express the meaning of each
        statement a little more clearly by reasoning from the simple clear ideas
        upon which they must rest. For instance, what do you mean by "the universe"
        or by "particles", etc.? And also, what mental tool are you using to examine
        such things, your Imagination or your Understanding (taking these two terms
        in the way Spinoza uses and thoroughly explains them)?

        If the latter, then I don't know how to help you. :-)

        Regards,
        Terry