OT: The Beatles at the Movies!

  • Henry R. Kujawa
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2009
      Tuesday night, I wanted something to make me smile. I dug out A HARD DAY'S NIGHT.

      "Honest, I didn't mean no harm. I just wanted to encourage the poor lad to encourage himself."
      "LORD KNOWS what you've unleashed on the unsuspecting South! It'll be wine, women and song the whole way once Ringo gets a taste of it!"

      Thursday, I figured, might as well watch the other half of the tape. HELP!

      "With a ring like that I could-- dare I say it? --RULE THE WORLD! I MUST have that RING!"

      Tonight, because I hadn't watched it in AGES, I went looking for the next tape. Man, what a weird night...

      I can still remember first watching MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR on a midnight show at the Cherry Hill Mall Cinema (long gone). What a freakin' WEIRD film. Made for TV, color everywhere, and ironically, shown on the BBC in BLACK AND WHITE so its intended audience missed most of the best parts. A good story, it ain't. It's barely coherent at all. The late 60's were a particularly flaky period in art history, when all the rules seemed to get thrown out the window. I've got a short list of what I consider the "weirdest movies ever made", and this is on it.

      That said, the short TV film (run around the Christmas holiday originally) seems nothing more than an excuse to string together a set of MUSIC VIDEOS. Being it's The Beatles... WOW. The "videos" are all worth watching, from the ethereal "The Fool On The Hill" to the pre-2001 "Flying" to the 30's musical tribute "Your Mother Should Know". And right in the middle of all this, "I Am The Walrus". You know, it struck me as I watched, it doesn't matter how many countless times I've heard the song, how "used" to it I am... "I Am The Walrus" remains one of the great "WHAT THE F***???" moments in pop music history. ESPECIALLY when you're watching the video!!