Marvel Super Heroes music on 'Spider-Man'

  • jacemrva
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2009
      Hi everyone, first time posting here, great community.

      I had a question for you. Does anyone know the "needle drop" source
      for the music played at the beginning of this Spider-man episode?:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y1LamP_UyA&feature=channel_page

      It was originally played on the 'Marvel Superheroes' show, it shows up
      in this clip here, around the 2:37 mark.

      Has anyone compiled a "soundtrack" for music like this (similar to the
      'Spider-man '67' compilation)?

      Just asking, thanks,

      Jacemrva
    • msaracen@neo.rr.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2009
        Hey Jace-

        It looks as if the MSH tracks were pulled from Capitol Records. It was the largest US library at the time but parts of the library have apparently reverted back to the families of the original composers. The original producer, Robert Lawrence, apparently couldn't recall the source when asked before he passed on in '04. So unless someone gets access to Capitol library, it's an educated guess. The music is markedly different from the KPM library.

        ---- jacemrva <jacemrva@...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone, first time posting here, great community.
        >
        > I had a question for you. Does anyone know the "needle drop" source
        > for the music played at the beginning of this Spider-man episode?:
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y1LamP_UyA&feature=channel_page
        >
        > It was originally played on the 'Marvel Superheroes' show, it shows up
        > in this clip here, around the 2:37 mark.
        >
        > Has anyone compiled a "soundtrack" for music like this (similar to the
        > 'Spider-man '67' compilation)?
        >
        > Just asking, thanks,
        >
        > Jacemrva

      • Chris Lawless
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 8, 2009
          Couple of thoughts here...

          1) Are you talking about the very beginning of this episode where you see the title card? That's definitely from MSH, as is the one that follows that starts at the 28 second mark. Speaking of which, the second piece is my absolute favorite piece from both MSH and Spider-Man, so if anyone knows the name/source I'd appreciate it.

          2) The only thing I hear at 2:37 is the end of a piece of music with congas that ends itself with a quick horn burst as the new scene fades in- is that what you're talking about? Or is it the music that starts at 2:42 when O'Brien says "Must be an accomplice"?

          Chris L.

          "jacemrva" <jacemrva@...> wrote:

          >>Hi everyone, first time posting here, great community.

          I had a question for you. Does anyone know the "needle drop" source
          for the music played at the beginning of this Spider-man episode?:

          http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=9y1LamP_ UyA&feature= channel_page

          It was originally played on the 'Marvel Superheroes' show, it shows up
          in this clip here, around the 2:37 mark. <<

          Save on Tax Preparation Services. Click here.

        • Henry R. Kujawa
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 10, 2009

            Chris Lawless wrote:
            "1) Are you talking about the very beginning of this episode where you
            see the title card? That's definitely from MSH, as is the one that
            follows that starts at the 28 second mark. Speaking of which, the
            second piece is my absolute favorite piece from both MSH and
            Spider-Man, so if anyone knows the name/source I'd appreciate it.
            2) The only thing I hear at 2:37 is the end of a piece of music with
            congas that ends itself with a quick horn burst as the new scene fades
            in- is that what you're talking about? Or is it the music that starts
            at 2:42 when O'Brien says "Must be an accomplice"?

            Guys-- guys-- WTF episode are you talking about?????

            I can't watch youtube (slow connection) and I'm not a mind-reader...
            I've "ONLY" got all 52 episodes on videotape (complete with the coming
            attractions) but a little help here might get a little help back!

            : )

            Henry
          • msaracen@neo.rr.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 10, 2009
              Birth of Micro-Man

              ---- "Henry R. Kujawa" <profh@...> wrote:
              > "jacemrva" wrote:
              > "I had a question for you. Does anyone know the "needle drop" source
              > for the music played at the beginning of this Spider-man episode?:
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y1LamP_UyA&feature=channel_page
              > It was originally played on the 'Marvel Superheroes' show, it shows up
              > in this clip here, around the 2:37 mark."
              >
              > Chris Lawless wrote:
              > "1) Are you talking about the very beginning of this episode where you
              > see the title card? That's definitely from MSH, as is the one that
              > follows that starts at the 28 second mark. Speaking of which, the
              > second piece is my absolute favorite piece from both MSH and
              > Spider-Man, so if anyone knows the name/source I'd appreciate it.
              > 2) The only thing I hear at 2:37 is the end of a piece of music with
              > congas that ends itself with a quick horn burst as the new scene fades
              > in- is that what you're talking about? Or is it the music that starts
              > at 2:42 when O'Brien says "Must be an accomplice"?
              >

              > Guys-- guys-- WTF episode are you talking about?????
              >
              > I can't watch youtube (slow connection) and I'm not a mind-reader...
              > I've "ONLY" got all 52 episodes on videotape (complete with the coming
              > attractions) but a little help here might get a little help back!
              >
              > : )
              >

              > Henry

            • jacemrva
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 11, 2009
                Whoops, dopey me, forgot to paste the link. I meant 2:37 mark of this
                Captain America video:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdfZbWo6_xQ

                --- In spidey-jazz@yahoogroups.com, Chris Lawless <lawford42@...> wrote:

                > Couple of thoughts here...
                >
                > 1) Are you talking about the very beginning of this episode where
                you see
                > the title card? That's definitely from MSH, as is the one that follows
                > that starts at the 28 second mark. Speaking of which, the second
                piece is
                > my absolute favorite piece from both MSH and Spider-Man, so if anyone
                > knows the name/source I'd appreciate it.
                >
                > 2) The only thing I hear at 2:37 is the end of a piece of music with
                > congas that ends itself with a quick horn burst as the new scene fades
                > in- is that what you're talking about? Or is it the music that starts at
                > 2:42 when O'Brien says "Must be an accomplice"?
                >

                > Chris L.
                >

                > "jacemrva" <jacemrva@...> wrote:
                >
                > >>Hi everyone, first time posting here, great community.
                >
                > I had a question for you. Does anyone know the "needle drop" source
                > for the music played at the beginning of this Spider-man episode?:
                >
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y1LamP_UyA&feature=channel_page
                >
                > It was originally played on the 'Marvel Superheroes' show, it shows up
                > in this clip here, around the 2:37 mark. <<
                > Save on Tax Preparation Services. Click here.

                http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw27GELBarvF43i8cTHcUij2havkjEt9WZnjwJupQENhBCwel/

              • Chris Lawless
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2009
                  Coincidentally, the track at the 2:37 mark of Captain America episode is the same track used at the beginning of the Spiderman episode you posted the link to. So obviously, some of the needle drop music from MSH found it's way to Spiderman. Out of curiosity, is 'Birth of Micro-Man' from Season 1?

                  I'll also buy a steak dinner to the person who can get me an clean MP3 of the track I asked about below (28 seconds into  http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=9y1LamP_ UyA&feature= channel_page. Dessert is optional.

                  Chris L.

                  "jacemrva" <jacemrva@...> wrote:

                  >>Hi everyone, first time posting here, great
                  community.

                  I had a question for you. Does anyone know the "needle drop" source
                  for the music played at the beginning of this Spider-man episode?:

                  http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=9y1LamP_ UyA&feature= channel_page

                  It was originally played on the 'Marvel Superheroes' show, it shows up
                  in this clip here, around the 2:37 mark. <<

                  Need money for college? Info for funding your education. Click Now!

                • Henry R. Kujawa
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1, 2009
                    Chris Lawless wrote:
                    "Out of curiosity, is "THE BIRTH OF MICRO MAN" from Season 1?"

                    I don't know (or go by) the DVDs, but according to my info from the
                    early 80's (my videotapes!) it's the 2nd HALF of Ep.42, the 1st half
                    of which is "SUPER SWAMI". That was part of a short run (5 episodes)
                    where they decided to try returning to the 1st season format of having
                    2 10-min. stories per show. This meant muich faster-paced cartoons, a
                    lot more talking, a lot of creativity, much less "endless music
                    padding", but with the same dark, demented art, colors & "film noir"
                    music of the 2nd season (plus some "new" stuff, at least "new" for the
                    Spidey show).

                    I still remember the first time I saw these-- I had long since given
                    up on the ABC run, once they got into endless reruns. WHO KNEW when
                    new episodes would air? I sure didn't. That's why I never saw any of
                    the 3rd season (except for "RHINO", which was run-- by itself-- in
                    between 2 of the "regular" 2nd-season episodes-- GO FIGURE) until they
                    turned up in syndication (in Philly, on Channel 17, who ran the show
                    NON-STOP for about 8 years, along with ULTRA MAN).

                    I wished they done the entire 3rd season that way, but after making a
                    valiant effort, they must have completely run out of money, and that
                    when the "remakes" of earlier episodes began. As a teenager, I just
                    sat there with my jaw dropping open, unable to believe anybody could
                    do what they were doing. It got so bad-- it kept getting worse...
                    Ain't it amazing how "watchable" they seem nowadays, at least because
                    of the music??

                    Henry
                  • Henry R. Kujawa
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1, 2009
                      Just for easy reference, here's my list of the "new" short stories
                      from the 3rd season...

                      Ep.39
                      TROUBLE WITH SNOW
                      SPIDERMAN VS. DESPERADO

                      Ep.40
                      SKY HARBOR
                      THE BIG BRAINWASHER *

                      Ep.41
                      THE VANISHING DR. VESPASIAN
                      THE SCOURGE OF THE SCARF

                      Ep.42
                      SUPER SWAMI
                      THE BIRTH OF MICRO MAN

                      Ep.43
                      KNIGHT MUST FALL
                      THE DEVIOUS DR. DUMPTY

                      Ep.46
                      RHINO (shown in the middle of season 2)
                      THE MENACE OF MYSTERIO *

                      * These 2 were actual adaptations from the comic-books, and naturally
                      tend to be among my favorites. "THE BIG BRAINWASHER" actually
                      contains scenes from the first 3 comic-book "Kingpin" stories
                      (including the climax of the 1st story, MISSING from the previous
                      season's "KING PINNED"), while "THE MENACE OF MYSTERIO" is fairly
                      close to the original 2-parter-- except, for their inexplicable total
                      redesign of the character! I suspect this may be the very last cartoon
                      Grantray-Lawrence started on before they went belly-up, because not
                      only is it so well-written, it also features dialogue completely at
                      odds with the visuals. In one scene, Spidey calls Mysterio
                      "bowl-head"-- but in the finished cartoon, Mysterio AIN'T wearing one!
                      (Kinda like how one of the punks in "THE ORIGIN OF SPIDERMAN" calls
                      Peter "four-eyed foul-up". In the comic, he wore glasses. In the
                      cartoon, he didn't. But the dialogue was left intact. GO FIGURE!)

                      : )