RE: [spidey-jazz] Spider-man '67 Box Set

  • geraldad@shaw.ca
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 11, 2009
      Message
      Hey James,

      Did you ever get any word on whether there were extras with the UK version of the Spidey DVD set?

      I was reminded of this post because while surfing for the chords to "Special to Me" from the 1970's movie Phantom of the Paradise (Paul Willaims wrote it - Jessica Harper sings it in the film) I came across this site ( http://vinnierattolle.blogspot.com/2008/10/how-oftens-rock-star-fried-on-stage.html ) that includes all the music (incidental especially) from the background stuff included in the opening credits right to the end. This fine gentleman has complied them in a downloadable file (111mb).  If you're a fan of the movie - you will LOVE this.  Look for the "Click Here to Get It" link...

      Gerald

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 21, 2009
        James Fielding wrote:
        "has anyone attempted to rip the Ray Ellis score & edit together the
        best possible tracks? By this, I mean to cut out any dialogue & sound
        effects by editing together the same piece of music from different
        episodes."

        It's on the agenda... we just have to get the bugs worked out. (That,
        and locate a time machine to allow for the immense amount of work it
        will involve.)

        Henry
      • STERLING CLARK
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 21, 2009
          Henry,

          Thanks for your reply. I don't know it was meant for me since I'm not James Fielding, but oh well. I've been on your site quite a bit, and I like it very much. A lot of work and time has gone into it and it shows. The dedicated fans that you've garnered is amazing. To tell you a little about myself, I'm a professional comic book artist although I'm not drawing full time. Like a lot of your fans, I grew up watching the old Spider-man cartoon on a local TV station in Cleveland, Ohio. In the 80's I used to get the Spidey VHS cassettes with the old cartoon as a bonus feature and run the audio through my stereo system in order to record all the great jazz music.
          I found out about your site while downloading the "Generation Exploitation" pod cast by Kliph Nestoroff, wherein he devoted a whole hour to the Spider-Man KPM library music. Since then, I've been recording many of the tracks from the KPM library myself, although I'm still trying to find the following:

          The track you've titled, " Swinging To The Zoo" from "Diamond Dust"
          Spidey chases the Sphere from "Home" (sounds like either Dale or Lindup)
          Opening Coffee Shop Jazz as Pete waits for a no-show carol in "Home" (sounds like Martin & Coulter)
          Action theme as Spidey is stalked by the red-eyed, unseen monster from "Neptune's Nose Cone"

          And you're right, Henry. the Spidey stuff is just the tip of the iceberg. The KPM library is just full of great non-Spidey tracks, David Lindup's "The Extrovert" and Syd Dale's, "Hell's Kitchen" to name a few.
          I'd love to get a copy of your CD. I'd be willing to trade you some of my published books for a copy. And what do you know about this CD #898770 that's been floating around called Spider-Man: Music from The KPM Record Library that shows a shot of Spidey swinging from the cartoon with the show's logo and web in the background with images of the musicians from the "Home" episode dropped in the background? Well this letter's getting long. Please reply. Looking forward to hearing from you.

          Sterling Clark

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 24, 2009
            Hello All,

            Just catching up on things around here. I haven't had the time to go
            through the first season to pick out the Ray Ellis tracks & edit them, as
            its such a massive task & I'd prefer to do it when I am motovated. Which
            isn't any time soon. I know I said I was going to give it a try, but I'm
            not as enthusiastic about it as I used to be. Hence the lack of posts from
            me for the last few months.

            In answer to Sterlings post....

            **"And what do you know about this CD #898770 that's been floating around
            called Spider-Man: Music from The KPM Record Library that shows a shot of
            Spidey swinging from the cartoon with the show's logo and web in the
            background with images of the musicians from the "Home" episode dropped in
            the background?"

            Sterling, can you please provide a link to this? That artwork sounds like
            what I did for my own comp. I gave it away to a couple of people & I guess
            it went around & done the rounds amongst other collectors. Whoever ripped
            the CD did a poor job of it, as I heard it wasn't very good quality. Plus
            the tracks I downloaded were not cleaned up as good as Henrys CD. How come
            the CD as a number? Is someone selling copies?

            Best,
            James.
          • Henry R. Kujawa
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 24, 2009
              "James Fielding" wrote:
              "I haven't had the time to go through the first season to pick out the
              Ray Ellis tracks & edit them, as its such a massive task"

              If I had any sense I wouldn't be thinking about doing it, either!

              : )

              "Sterling, can you please provide a link to this? That artwork sounds
              like what I did for my own comp. I gave it away to a couple of
              people & I guess it went around & done the rounds amongst other
              collectors. Whoever ripped the CD did a poor job of it, as I heard it
              wasn't very good quality. Plus the tracks I downloaded were not
              cleaned up as good as Henrys CD. How come the CD as a number? Is
              someone selling copies?"

              Every time I hear a reference to something like this, I get the
              feeling someone's not operating in the spirit of this group. I've seen
              track listings online which are SUPICIOUSLY similar to the 2002
              version i put together-- because they tend to include "bonus tracks"
              that were NOT on the show, which I included to full out the time on
              the disc. (The 2004 version had TWICE as much music, and as you say,
              sounded MUCH better-- much of that thanks to Kyle Taylor's efforts
              with his sound editor, something he and I both knocked outselves out on.)

              I'm currently focused on another "fan" endeavor-- updating Nick
              Simon's SILVER AGE MARVEL website. I think I can safely say I have
              alreasdy put an INSANE amount of time and effort in, and I'm nowhere
              near done... Now, if only I could focus this entently on "MY OWN"
              projects... (sigh)

              http://www.samcci.comics.org/