Album covers

  • spider91372002
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2008
      Another silly question:

      Those album covers that Henry linked to, so I could see the list of
      tracks ... were these officially released, or fan produced? Either way,
      they look terrific. And where, pray tell, can I order copies?

      I like the music from the Bakshi episodes, but I always enjoyed the
      comic book, and wish Bakshi had used some more of the villains from the
      comics, rather than going the sword and sorcery route. I like the
      music from the older episodes too, as they were kind of a cross between
      big band and beatnik!
    • Henry R. Kujawa
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2008
        "spider91372002" wrote:
        "Those album covers that Henry linked to, so I could see the list of
        tracks ... were these officially released, or fan produced? Either way,
        they look terrific. And where, pray tell, can I order copies?"

        Thanks. I did 'em, with a lot of help from some of the people here.
        E-mail me direct and we can set up a trade or something. I prefer
        trading music CDs, but I'll take cold hard CASH if there's absolutely
        no other option (heh).

        "I like the music from the Bakshi episodes, but I always enjoyed the
        comic book, and wish Bakshi had used some more of the villains from
        the comics, rather than going the sword and sorcery route. I like the
        music from the older episodes too, as they were kind of a cross
        between big band and beatnik!"

        Like the man at the coffee shop in "BLUEPRINT FOR DESTRUCTION" said,
        "...and DIG the moa..." (whatever the HELL that means!)

        I felt exactly the same way when the 2nd season started, and after ONE
        new episode by the people who did the 1st season, suddenly, everything
        changed. WTF???

        Only decades later did I begin to see some bizarre parallels in a few
        of those earliest Bakshi-Morrow episodes with some of the earliest
        issues of the comic-book. The 2nd Bakshi-Morrow episode, Pete meets
        JJJ (just like in ASM #1). Sky-Master, as an airborne villain, sort of
        fills in for The Vulture. The Master Technician takes over an
        experimental nuclear power plant-- JUST LIKE Doc Ock did in his debut
        appearance! If these are coincidences, they're pretty wild!

        Of course, I always thought "MENACE FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE WORLD" was
        a whacked-out redo of "RETURN OF THE MOLE MAN" from the previous
        year's F.F. cartoon (itself an adaptation of "The Mad Menace of the
        Macabre Mole Man" from the F.F. comic-book). Only recently did I
        figure out "MENACE..." was in fact adapted from "One Of Our
        Skyscrapers Is Missing" from ADVENTURES OF THE FLY #2 (by Joe Simon &
        Al Williamson).

        Meanwhile, "PARDO PRESENTS" now seems to me to have combined elements
        of "The Claws Of The Cat" from ASM #30 (on the cover, Spidey's having
        a rooftop battle around a water tank!), and, "Duel With Daredevil"
        from ASM #16 (villain hypnotizes everyone in the audience, only the
        hero is able to resist-- only in the comic, the hero was Daredevil!).

        Of course, 2 of my favorite 3rd-season eps. are "THE BIG BRAINWASHER",
        which combines elements from the first 3 Kingpin storylines (3!!!),
        and, "THE MADNESS OF MYSTERIO", which is rather faithful to the
        comic... EXCEPT, for them unaccountably totally redesigning the
        villain's appearance. Despite that, one line of dialogue has Spidey
        refer to the guy as "Bowl-Head", which suggests to me that the
        dialogue for that episode MAY have been the very last thing
        Grantray-Lawrence did before they went belly-up... and then Bakshi &
        Morrow finished the job more than a year later.