Michael Bublé / Henry Mancini / Spidey / Brass

  • Eric Rountree
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7, 2008
      Whew! I think that's the most territory I've covered in a subject line
      in a long, long time.

      Anyway, I just wanted to mention that Michael Bublé, in addition to
      having recorded a version of the Spider-Man theme, has a track on his
      "Call Me Irresponsible" CD, called "Meglio Stasera (It Had Better Be
      Tonight)" by Henry Mancini, Johnny Mercer, and Franco Migliacci, that
      has some very Spidey-like brass "punctuation" (for lack of a better
      word) in it. It's a very cool arrangement, and the brass bits take me
      right back to watching the Spidey episodes.

      Interestingly, I just recently found out that this song ("Meglio
      Stasera") was written for the movie "The Pink Panther" (the first
      movie in the series). I recently bought "The Pink Panther Collection"
      DVD set (which, oddly, does not include "The Return of the Pink
      Panther" due to some interesting ownership issues) and have been
      enjoying seeing these wacky movies again. Obviously, last time I saw
      the original movie, I wasn't familiar with the song.

      Some almost-on-topic trivia for y'all.

      Have a day.

      Eric
    • Henry R. Kujawa
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2008
        "Eric Rountree" wrote:
[...]

        If you get yourself a copy of the new SPIDEY COVERS disc (which I've
        started sending along with the SPIDER-MAN 1968 disc), Michael Buble's
        "Spider-Man Theme" is the last track on it, a fitting end.

        I just happened to dig out THE PINK PANTHER to watch it again-- LAST
        NIGHT!! You know, it took me ages to find out it was Fran Jeffries
        who sang that song. She only appears in 2 scenes in the entire film--
        one, where some old guy who's part of the "jet set" crowds introduces
        her as his "Greek cousin-- 3rd cousin actually" (suggesting she's his
        DATE, heh), and then, midway in the film, when Blake Edwards suddenly
        tosses what amnounts to a "music video" at us-- as one online reviewer
        said-- "for no reason at all"! Really, it has NO REASON for being in
        that film, except to take the place of where an "intermission" would
        have been in earlier films, it's just an excuse for the audience to go
        to the lobby and get some refreshments. But I LOVE it! It's my
        FAVORITE part of the film, and the song always sticks in my head for
        days after. For the longest time, I was very disappointed that the
        Fran Jeffries version does NOT appear on the soundtrack album. when
        someone recently sent me a copy of the CD, I figured, enough of this!
        I copied the song DIRECT from my slightly hissy videotape to my
        computer, cleaned it up a bit (best I could) and ran off a "special
        editon" of THE PINK PANTHER album, with the Fran Jeffries recording
        tacked onto the end as a bonus track.

        You know, among other things, I believe that movie may have been one
        of the earliest examples of a film that starts with what appeares to
        be 3 or 4 totally-uprelated sub-plots, that all converge by halfway
        thru the picture. "MEANWHILE..."

        Funny thing-- I finally realized last night the very 1st shot in the
        film of Rome is the exact same shot of Rome at the end of the movie.

        I know the film was designed as a vehicle for David Niven. He's
        virtually THE LONE WOLF (before he "reformed") for a newer generation.
        But during filming, Peter Sellers became so popular with the crew,
        they kept expanding his role, until he practically took over the
        picture. All the same, something that baffles me is WHY in all the
        years since, and in all the years since Sellers AND Niven both passed
        away, Blake Edwards never did the "logical" follow-up. There's a scene
        right at the end of the film where Sir Charles says to his nephew
        George, "Maybe some day you can take over the family business." but it
        NEVER happened!

        Henry
      • Eric Rountree
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 7, 2008
          Henry, that's weirdly coincidental... I've been thinking about sending
          that note to the group for a while now, but didn't get around to it
          until today... the day after you dug out the film and rewatched it...
          Too Cool!

          As usual, you wrote a very interesting and informative reply.

          Thanks.

          Eric