Re: [spidey-jazz] SPIDEY COVERS cd

  • Chris W.
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 10, 2008
      Another band to cover a Spidey track is a metal band called "Glueleg". I think the track name was "Spiderman", and it's a cover of one of the Ray Ellis tracks.

      I'm surprised to hear that Michael Buble did a Spidey cover -- I thought he was just some Dean Martin wanabee.

      Chris

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 10, 2008
        You might want to check out other cover versions as well by The Ramones, Gabrial B. Bello, The Heebie Jeebies, The Allen Toussaint Orchestra, Jako &
        Synth R.     The Michael Buble version was done for Spider-man 2 & can be heard on the end credits.   Theres even a video for it which can be found on Youtube.

        Has anyone got a link to the Grimskunk & Glueleg versions?   I can upload the other tracks if anyone is interested.

        Re: the newcomers of the group asking for a copy of the CD to download.  It was decided not to make it as a download, as out of all of us, it was Henry who did most of the hard work identifying all the KPM tracks.  So for copies, he would get something back in return as in a trade.   As for my part in all this, I was working on a project with KPM & they put me in touch with Henry.  I then introduced Henry to this Yahoo group after I had found it & it all snowballed from there.    I was also in direct contact with the MD of KPM & was able to get his blessing for the project, as long as it was for a non profit basis.   I also had a couple of the early KPM records sent to me, but ultimately all the tracks were downloaded from their website.

        Hope everyone is well.
        James.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 10, 2008
          Hey gang...

          Is it possible to post the complete track listing of the "covers CD"?

          Thanks.
          Jeff

          --- In spidey-jazz@yahoogroups.com, "James Fielding"

        • geraldad@shaw.ca
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 10, 2008
            Message
            Whaaaaa - where does it end?  There's a ton of covers out there of the original theme, some much better than others.  I'm kind of a purist and tend to thumb my nose at anything new that doesn't hearken back to the original theme's spirit (what a snob, eh?)

            Some remakes seem to have a little more creativity though (Aerosmith - http://youtube.com/watch?v=TCGkkBCgans, Michael Buble - http://youtube.com/watch?v=R1AuWZFGng4) -- these would be good candidates for a really cool compilation.  The Ramones version (http://youtube.com/watch?v=GD_l6GiBvtU is already an oldie and usually comes to mind too - this is also a required comp version (watch Spidey's whacky moves at 1:57 - hilarious!).

            Then there's a number of lesser known groups out there who have recognized the coolness factor of the theme and put out their own versions. I've seen a few in person and the songs always goes over well live. Check out the Alison Brown Quartet (the theme comes in strong at 1:25 and ends at 5:40).  This is a good example where the artist's respect of the original feel is maintained while adding great musicianship and improvisation. http://youtube.com/watch?v=xoWwJawwLEE.

            And then of course, there's some of the "other" that falls into a what's the point category;  http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vw4XkzzWDAE&amp;feature=relatedhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=uZM-z0GRMOw&feature=related, etc., etc.

            Ahhhh, where would we be without Youtube?  If not for these geniuses, we'd never see the cultural side of Spidey:
            3) Italian:  http://youtube.com/watch?v=JvNLlwkwP64 - HA HA - wait until 2:10 and it get's REALLY fun!

            sigh...

            p.s.  The ad trailers for the original 70's series always makes me laugh - love the music though. http://youtube.com/watch?v=qyYrxQx7RBc&amp;feature=related

[...]

            Checked by AVG.

          • Henry R. Kujawa
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 11, 2008
              James, thanks for your comments. Sometimes I get tired of always
              having to say it over and over myself.

              :)

              I'll add that if anyone else wants to step in and trade copies, feel
              free! I'm in such a bad financial state right now, I've started
              e-mailing JPEGs of the art instead of printing them out.

              As for the SPIDEY COVERS cd (as I've decided to call it), I haven't
              run off any of them YET, but I have had a request or two already. It's
              got more tracks on it than I expected, but if I were gonna add any
              more this might be the time to do it, before multiple versions of it
              are created (as apparently happened with the SPIDER-MAN 1968 disc,
              judging by some track listings I've seen online...).

              I did a "special edition" of The Ventures' VENTURES IN SPACE album,
              and tacked on like 6 cover versions of "Out Of Limits" at the end as
              bonuses. Multiple versions of the "Spider-Man Theme" don't really
              interest me that much, either, but if they wound up being included,
              they'd ALL be at the end, too. Right now, the SPIDEY COVERS dics is
              all instro, except for the Volume and Michael Buble versions of the
              theme song.

              Here's the disc as it stands:

              SPIDER-MAN THEME
              SANDMAN
              KINGPINNED
              DIMENTIA 5
              TRIBUTE
              RED DOG MELVIN
              ELECTRO
              JAMESON
              INSTRUMENTAL --Volume
              MEDLEY --Grimskunk
              DAILY BUGLE
              MENACE OF THE MOLEMEN
              SPIDER-MAN'S GREATEST FOES
              SPIDER SENSE
              SPINDER-MAN SWING MUSIC
              WITH GREAT POWER --Moxxi
              SWING AND DIG IT --Mole City
              SPIDER-MAN THEME --Michael Buble

              Somehow, Kevin assembled the Moxxi tracks in alphabetical order,
              instead of the order the artist had them listed at his website. But
              it doesn't seem to matter one way or the other, so I figured, EHH,
              leave 'em.

              An actual Ray Ellis collection has not turned up-- and who knows, may
              never-- but right now, THIS'll do nicely. Most of it is Ray Ellis (or
              derived from the theme song), with only a few bits covering the KPM
              tracks. If ya'll remember the scene in "MENACE FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE
              WORLD" where Spidey swings down to the edge of the hole, before going
              down, that's included in the Moxxi "Mole Men" track. (I actually
              started calling that track, "Hold Onto Your Hats!", as that's the
              scene where it appears in "CRIMINALS IN THE CLOUDS".) I suppose one
              could program that in place with the actual KPM tracks, though you'd
              probably wanna edit it. It'd take me some time to go over that track
              and figure out exactly which tracks the guy included.

              And as I said to someone earlier, figuring out the Ray Ellis tracks,
              so far, has proven a LOT more confusing, mostly because most of them
              were used "ALL OVER THE PLACE". Trying to give them "names" (as I did
              with all the tracks on the CD) was proving to be a huge, confusing
              nightmare. (But maybe one of these days I'll manage it...)

              Henry
            • Henry R. Kujawa
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 12, 2008
                I thought ya'll might like to see the art I "threw together" for the
                SPIDEY COVERS disc. After I used both John Romita (the comic) and
                Gray Morrow (the cartoons) for the 1st disc, I felt the urge to do
                something with Steve Ditko art on the front. (But this time, I just
                wasn't in the mood to RE-DRAW it from scratch...)

                But I also wanted to include art from the Grantray-Lawrence cartoons
                (1st season) as so much of the music covered on this came from there...

              • tarpit05
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 12, 2008
                  There's a Tenacious D live bootleg version of the original theme that
                  goes off into raunchy tangents but is quite possibly the funniest
                  cover ever (if you like blue humor, that is--your mileage may vary).

                  I also found a jazz-funk cover by a band named Ugress over at eMusic,
                  if I remember right.

                  --- In spidey-jazz@yahoogroups.com, geraldad@... wrote:

                  > Whaaaaa - where does it end? There's a ton of covers out there of the
                  > original theme, some much better than others. I'm kind of a purist
                  and tend
                  > to thumb my nose at anything new that doesn't hearken back to the
                  original
                  > theme's spirit (what a snob, eh?)
                  >
                  > Some remakes seem to have a little more creativity though (Aerosmith -
                  > <http://youtube.com/watch?v=TCGkkBCgans>
                  > http://youtube.com/watch?v=TCGkkBCgans, Michael Buble -
                  > <http://youtube.com/watch?v=R1AuWZFGng4>
                  > http://youtube.com/watch?v=R1AuWZFGng4) -- these would be good
                  candidates
                  > for a really cool compilation. The Ramones version
                  > (http://youtube.com/watch?v=GD_l6GiBvtU is already an oldie and usually
                  > comes to mind too - this is also a required comp version (watch Spidey's
                  > whacky moves at 1:57 - hilarious!).
                  >
                  > Then there's a number of lesser known groups out there who have
                  recognized
                  > the coolness factor of the theme and put out their own versions.
                  I've seen a
                  > few in person and the songs always goes over well live. Check out
                  the Alison
                  > Brown Quartet (the theme comes in strong at 1:25 and ends at 5:40).
                  This is
                  > a good example where the artist's respect of the original feel is
                  maintained
                  > while adding great musicianship and improvisation.
                  > http://youtube.com/watch?v=xoWwJawwLEE.
                  >
                  > And then of course, there's some of the "other" that falls into a
                  what's the
                  > point category; http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vw4XkzzWDAE
                  > <http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vw4XkzzWDAE&feature=related>
                  > &feature=related, http://youtube.com/watch?v=uZM-z0GRMOw
                  > <http://youtube.com/watch?v=uZM-z0GRMOw&feature=related>
                  &feature=related,
                  > etc., etc.
                  >
                  > Ahhhh, where would we be without Youtube? If not for these
                  geniuses, we'd
                  > never see the cultural side of Spidey:
                  > 1) Japanese: http://youtube.com/watch?v=mGxde2a2_iQ
                  > <http://youtube.com/watch?v=mGxde2a2_iQ&feature=related>
                  &feature=related
                  > 2) Hindi: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dFvE_-7GXFE
                  > <http://youtube.com/watch?v=dFvE_-7GXFE&feature=related>
                  > &feature=related
                  > 3) Italian: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JvNLlwkwP64 - HA HA - wait until
                  > 2:10 and it get's REALLY fun!
                  >
                  > sigh...
                  >
                  > p.s. The ad trailers for the original 70's series always makes me
                  laugh -
                  > love the music though. http://youtube.com/watch?v=qyYrxQx7RBc
                  > <http://youtube.com/watch?v=qyYrxQx7RBc&feature=related>
                  > &feature=related

                • Henry R. Kujawa
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 12, 2008
                    "tarpit05" wrote:
                    "There's a Tenacious D live bootleg version of the original theme that
                    goes off into raunchy tangents but is quite possibly the funniest
                    cover ever (if you like blue humor, that is--your mileage may vary)."

                    Hey, why not start a thread for this? We're all music fans here (right?).

                    One of the funniest covers I've ever heard was Deacon Lunchbox doing
                    The Monkees' "The Day We Fall In Love". The original was this
                    sickeningly sweet, sappy spoken-word poem read by David Jones while
                    violins and the like play in the background. Deacon Lunchbox was more
                    like, if Yosemite Sam read the poem. It was so much more enjoyable
                    than the original!!

                    This was on the various-artists tribute comp, HEAR NO EVIL, and sadly,
                    the guy died just before it came out (so they dedicated it to his memory).

                    Any more? There's gotta be some funny ones out there.