Re: [spidey-jazz] Yet Another New Member

  • eightman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2008
      That piece you speak of is from Diamond Dust.

      I too have been looking for it without any luck. It
      runs about a minute and a half. I slso heard in a
      documentary I saw in an eight grade sciene class about
      oil and oil refining.

      --- arc1ca <arc1ca@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > a hard copy via trade? And do I understand it
      > correctly that the
      > > tracks on the CD are the only songs that have been
      > currently
      > > identified from the KPM library?"
      > >
      > > Someone has apparently posted some or all of the
      > work done here (and I
      > > suspect some of it done by me 2 years earlier
      > before I got here!)
      > > online. I've never downloaded any of that, but
      > members here have
      > > assured me, the CD is MUCH higher quality. Anybody
      > who really cares
      > > about this stuff is cheating themselves if they
      > try to go the 'easy"
      > > route.
      > >
      > > That said, I'm a little surprised nobody else here
      > has offered to
      > > trade copies of the CD themselves. I can't be the
      > ONLY one here who
      > > has a CD-writer, am I?? Is it possible noboyd else
      > likes trading stuff?
      > >
      > > I wouldn't bring this up, except I'm in a severe
      > financial bind right
      > > now, looking for a job for over a year, and can't
      > even afford to buy
      > > blank CDs. I'm planning to e-mail the art to
      > anyone who wants it, so
      > > they can print it out themselves. It might
      > actually be best if people
      > > sent ME blank CDs at this point, as silly as that
      > might sound.
      > >
      > > Generally, while I've taken cash ($10) I prefer
      > trading. I've gotten
      > > ahold of a lot of cool stuff I might never have
      > otherwise this way.
      > >

      > > "Kudos to Henry and anyone else who were involved
      > in hunting these
      > > babies down. You guys do a great service to music
      > fans everywhere."
      > >
      > > You're welcome. Among those who deserve a share
      > of thanks: Dan
      > > Matheson, a fan in California who liked to trade
      > with fans in
      > > Australia (which is where HE got the KPM stuff
      > from)-- he supplied me
      > > the initial stuff back in 2002. next, Bill Martin,
      > one of the
      > > composers; when I mailed him a copy of my original
      > disc as a "fan
      > > mail" sort of thing, he asked for more and
      > forwarded them to APM in
      > > California. Jim Fielding, who got in touch with
      > APM, and they sent HIM
      > > a copy of MY disc, got in touch with ME and we
      > both joined here the
      > > same day. Also, Chris Want, Gerald Adams, Chad
      > Cote (all of whom
      > > helped I.D. tracks), and Kyle Taylor, who did at
      > least HALF of the
      > > sound editing I included in the final disc. (He
      > volunteered his
      > > servies when I thought I was all done; I sent him
      > what I had, he sent
      > > me back what he did, and I spent the next 3 weeks
      > playing as many as 5
      > > different versions of each track over and over and
      > over to decide
      > > WHICH one sounded best. After that, I stopped

    • Henry R. Kujawa
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
        eightman wrote:
        "That piece you speak of is from Diamond Dust. I too have been looking
        for it without any luck. It runs about a minute and a half. I also
        heard in a documentary I saw in an eight grade sciene class about oil
        and oil refining."

        An excerpt of that actually makes it debut (by my figuring) in "MENACE
        FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE WORLD"-- but it's only a few seconds, so I tend
        to lump it as one of the "DIAMOND DUST" tracks. If memory serves, it
        turns up again in "HOME".

        There's a couple oddities about the scheduling of the show. I should
        try to do an online search to find out the original airdates (I
        imagine they're listed in more than one place). I know, for instance,
        that "SWING CITY" is the 3rd Bakshi-Morrow episode aired. But,
        CONTINUITY-WISE-- and this bugged me for many, many years before I
        figured out the obvious answer-- "CRIMINALS IN THE CLOUDS" should come
        3rd, then "SWING CITY". You know why? "CLOUDS" is when the narrator
        talks about "Every boy gets girl trouble sooner or later..." This
        makes sense if it comes before "SWING CITY". Second, when Pete goes to
        try out for the football team, the coach treats him with utter
        contempt. But in "SWING CITY", the coach is looking at Pete in a
        better light. Third, and this is connected, "CLOUDS" takes place
        during football season. "SWING CITY" during basketball season. I don't
        follow sports, but even I know which comes first! Fourth, there's a
        better "flow" to the character development if Pete is turned down flat
        by Susan Shaw first, then ALMOST manages to get close to Sonya, but
        doesn't. And fifth, on a "menace to the city" level, you go from a
        thief & killer ("ORIGIN") to a mob boss ("KING PINNED") to an aieriel
        super-villain ("CLOUDS") to someone who manages to lift the entire
        island of Manhattan into the air ("SWING CITY"). See, "CLOUDS" just
        doesn't cut it it you watch it AFTER "SWING CITY"!

        And further, there's this almost uncanny parallel I noticed if you put
        "CLOUDS" 3rd...

        "ORIGIN" -- AMAZING FANTASY #15
        "KING PINNED" -- ASM #1 / Pete gets a job with Jameson
        "CLOUDS" -- ASM #2 / ariel villain / The Vulture
        "SWING CITY" -- ASM #3 / atomic power plant menaced by insane
        scientist / Doc Ock

        Was the above deliberate or accidental???

        Even so, I decided to leave the music CD in the order it was... (heh)

        With that in mind, it keeps nagging me in the back of my head that
        "DIAMOND DUST" should have been at or near the end of the season,
        since it takes place during baseball season-- presumably, near the end
        of the school year. My memory's got some gaps in it with regard to
        this, but it SEEMS to me something else was originally aired during
        the week in between the 2 "Mole Men" stories. (I could be wrong.) Any
        ideas?

        Henry
      • Matthew Shepherd
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2008
          --- In spidey-jazz@yahoogroups.com, "tarpit05" <spike97@...> wrote:

          > Wanted to say hi to the group on behalf of myself and anybody else who
          > may have recently found this place via the WFMU Beware of the Blog
          post.

          I'm new here too, from the same link. I just posted it (and other
          things, including this group) to MetaFilter, so there may be a few
          more newbies showing up soon.

          Thanks to everyone for all this hard work! What a great resource.