Gene Colan art in Spidey cartoons!

  • Henry R. Kujawa
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2008
      I'm back on re-reading my 60's Marvels, in chronological sequence
      (month-by-month as they came out). Last night I got to TALES OF
      SUSPENSE #76 (Apr'66), and page 4 stopped be dead in my tracks. This
      is an Iron Man story with art by Gene Colan & Jack Abel-- and I
      RECOGNIZED it from one-- possibly several-- of the Ralph Bakshi-Gray
      Morrow SPIDER-MAN cartoons!

      I dug out the "screen-captures" Jim Fielding sent me, and sure
      enough-- THE EXACT same car!

      I figure what happened was, Grantray-Lawrence apparently did several
      Gene Colan episodes as part of the MARVEL SUPER-HEROES SHOW. when G-L
      went bankrupt, Bakshi said he grabbed as much of their materials as he
      could get to use in the later Spidey shows. I never realized until
      today that as least some of that came from a G-L Iron Man cartoon!