Re: music music good to eat

  • litlgrey
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
      I'd say further possibilities include the DeWolfe Library, and of course the ever present APM.
      KPM was not tied in with other Libraries like APM until about 1969.

      I have a two hour special coming up next Saturday at Luxuriamusic.com - all KPM greenery, all the time.

      Just a coincidence, of course!

      >I've been reading a lot of these posts relating to the background music of the Spiderman
      >1960's animated show. It seems that everyone feels that there are only 2 sourses from which
      >this music is culled (Ray Ellis and KPM). Well, I've found a third. Just recently, I purchased an
      >old NBC radio spots LP from 1965. One of the cuts from it (the one that advertises "The Man
      >From UNCLE") has background music from Spiderman - a whole year before the show
      >premiered! The problem is, I have no idea what library this cut is from. Could it be from
      >Canada (since the 1st season was made there) or something available in LA where Ellis was
      >and NBC was for that matter? maybe Capitol hi Q series or Chappell music.
    • eightman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
        You can send it to me. eight8man@....

        Thanks
        --- nikthemes <nikthemes@...> wrote:

        > Spidey-jazz:
        > I've been reading a lot of these posts relating to
        > the background music of the Spiderman
        > 1960's animated show. It seems that everyone feels
        > that there are only 2 sourses from which
        > this music is culled (Ray Ellis and KPM). Well, I've
        > found a third. Just recently, I purchased an
        > old NBC radio spots LP from 1965. One of the cuts
        > from it (the one that advertises "The Man
        > From UNCLE") has background music from Spiderman - a
        > whole year before the show
        > premiered! The problem is, I have no idea what
        > library this cut is from. Could it be from
        > Canada (since the 1st season was made there) or
        > something available in LA where Ellis was
        > and NBC was for that matter? maybe Capitol hi Q
        > series or Chappell music. I just have no
        > clue where to start searching. Maybe some of you
        > people do. Unfortunately, I can't post an
        > MP3 on this sight (I've tried, but to no avail).
        > SO, if anyone wants this MP3 (it's only 30
        > seconds long), I'd gladly send it to whom ever gives
        > me an email destination that will except
        > MP3's. I've tried sending it to Henry Kujawa but he
        > never seems to get it. So, let me know
        > and I'll send it off to you.
        >
        > NIK

        Need a vacation? Get great deals
        to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
        http://travel.yahoo.com/
      • Nik Ranieri
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
          Just thought I'd let all of you know what's been
          happening with the MP3 I've sent out to several
          people. So here are the highlights:

          I recognize the tune , it's a bit hard to guess if
          this would
          have been a Harris original or something off a stock
          music compilation. In my experience with stock music
          (mostly KPM from the 70's-80's and Bruton), the
          producers I've heard liked to keep the tracks together
          often used the entire album's worth on multi-tracl
          projects. I think it was easier to keep track of an
          entire album rather than spend hours digging around
          dozens of albums for exactly the right pieces.
          Anyway, I'll see what I can locate.
          Gerald

          Are you saying that the piece is from the KPM company?
          I've gotten the KPM stuff and that cue is not on it
          but I know I've heard it on the show (while Spidey's
          swinging).
          NIK

          About your earlier question -- no I wasn't saying it
          was a KPM clip (if I had to guess, I'd lean towards a
          piece written for the show - it seems a little too
          far-fetched for typical stock use). As for the show
          name -- I'll look it up from the DVD collection. In
          the meantime, tell James it's the show where Spidey
          hitched a ride on top of a winged beasty by webbing it
          beak together. When he's led them along, he jumps off
          and says thank fellas (my fuzzy memory recalls a
          2-headed beast maybe?).
          Gerald

          I know what you mean about the track's uniqueness but
          I still can't get past the fact that it was used in an
          NBC radio spot in 1965. That to me says music
          library. I really think they used library music as
          well as the Ellis stuff for the first season. When I
          watch the first 8 episodes, it's pretty much the
          Ellis stuff but as they get closer to the second
          season, other, more generic music starts cropping up
          every now and then - even before "King Pinned".
          I really don't think that cue is a Harris or Ellis
          original because it appeared on an NBC radio
          commercial 2 years before the show debuted. No one
          would put their music in a library before it was used
          for what it was written for. Unless they wrote it for
          a library first and used it for the show later. All I
          know is that if we can find the library that contains
          that track, I'm sure there will be more where that
          came from. I wish we could post it on Spidey-Jazz.
          I'm sure we'd get a bigger response.
          NIK

          A nice long version of the cue is on "Spiderman
          Battles the Mole Men" - at the 18:27 mark. You get to
          hear the beginning and the end of the song too - about
          45 seconds worth.
          It kills me to know that the these original record
          libararies are sitting
          somewhere in storage. Thje longer time goes on, the
          less chance of finding a person that recalls the
          tracks. I'm going to put a call in to the guys that I
          started working with in the late 80s -- they had all
          of the old libraries and if they don't recognize the
          tracks - may be they can point me to the libraries
          themselves.
          Gerald

          As far as the KPM stuff goes, isn't pretty much all of
          it represented on the disc that Henry Kujawa made?
          But "Spiderman Battles the Mole Men" IS in season 2 -
          well into the KPM usage. So either they were using 2
          libraries or it's a KPM track that has eluded Henry
          Kujawa's research. I have 3 of the KPM LPs (1001,
          1015, 1017) but there are 2 more I think that are used
          (1002, 1018). This cue appears on none of my LPs but
          maybe on the LPs that I haven't mentioned in that
          block of LPs from 1001 to 1018? I don't know.
          NIK

          I checked the vintage WF stuff I have & its not on any
          of it. Are you sure its not KPM? Try getting in
          touch with Henry again, he might have a clue.
          Thanks for sending me it. I'll have another scan &
          search later on to see if I can find another lead.
          Jim.

          It could be KPM. It's just that.... it was used in
          1965. Didn't the KPM 1000 series come out in 1967?
          NIK

          Not sure. I thought it would be something like
          1966-67 as some tracks were used in Grantway
          Lawerences Marvel Super Heroes series (1966).
          Jim.

          Hasn't KPM been around since the 40's in one form or
          another? Maybe the track is from their early to mid
          60's offerings.
          NIK

          Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
        • James Fielding
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
            Has anyone been using the latest search system for
            various library music?

            http://www1.playkpmmusic.com/pages/category_search/database_search.cfm

            Jim.

          • jesseneufeld
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
              Hi Nik,

              Could you email me the track?
              jesseneufeld@...
              I'd love to hear it.

              Thanks!

              Jesse

              ______________
              > Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
              > http://search.yahoo.com/search?
              fr=oni_on_mail&p=graduation+gifts&cs=bz

            • Henry R. Kujawa
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
                Nik Ranieri wrote:
                "it's the show where Spidey hitched a ride on top of a winged beasty
                by webbing it beak together. When he's led them along, he jumps off
                and says thank fellas"

                Off the top of my head, that sounds like either "THE EVIL SORCERER" or
                "COLD STORAGE".

[...]

                Sounds reasonable. As for e-mail, I don't understand it... as far as
                I can see from my end, I have never received this. Baffling. (Could
                someone ELSE try sending it? I'm wondering if my server is somehow
                acting funny toward a particular e-mail address...)

                "A nice long version of the cue is on "Spiderman Battles the Mole Men"
                - at the 18:27 mark. You get to hear the beginning and the end of the
                song too - about 45 seconds worth."

                Without putting the tape on, I think I know what piece you may be
                referring to. Would this have a horn going "OW OWW OW" followed by a
                piano "di di di di di di di di" ? As Spidey is trying to escape Mole
                City before the whole place explodes? That was also used when he rode
                some flying critter in another ep...

                "As far as the KPM stuff goes, isn't pretty much all of it represented
                on the disc that Henry Kujawa made?"

                NO! From my notes, I'd estimate the current CD only contains about
                HALF of the KPM tracks-- and that doesn't get into the 1st season at all!

                A mix of Harris / Ellis & KPM (both on my CD and not) is on Stephane
                Dubuc's "CLASSIC SPIDER-MAN BACKGROUND MUSIC" CD (another fan
                project). I recently sent a copy of this to someone along with my
                disc. I keep thinking that if I had the DVDs (and a DVD player) I
                might like to put together a similar disc, just of music not already
                located.

                The current CD contains tracks from KPM 1001, 1002, 1015, 1017 & 1018!

                "Didn't the KPM 1000 series come out in 1967?"

                If my info is right, 1966.

                "Hasn't KPM been around since the 40's in one form or another?"

                I have a few albums I downloaded from the APM site containing music
                from the 1940's & 1950's. Some cool stuff in there! I'd love to get
                more, but since they "upgraded" their site, for whatever reason, I
                haven't been able to figure out how to download like I did before (or,
                it just doesn't want to...)