Wallopin' websnappers!

  • Doug Carlson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3 8:45 PM
      Hi

      Thanks to Chris Want first of all for the invitation to join this list.

      Has everyone heard about Buena Vista International's remastering of the
      Spidey series by now? I made some inquiries because at first the press
      release suggested they were going to clean up the video and wipe the
      soundtrack completely, then rebuild it with new modern voices, new sound fx
      and ...gulp...new music!

      I've received a couple of replies from BVI, and one of them said that they
      are not going to tamper with the original music, just "enhance" it. Still,
      I have my suspicions!

      Doug Carlson
      Winnipeg
    • geraldad_2004
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4 6:02 PM
        Hi there,

        Just read the BVI press release. Yep, you're right. It does sound
        suspicious. Moreover, I'm curious (in an annoyed way) that
        the "restored" cel seems to have some differences that make it seem
        like they're not simply restoring an age-battered cel, but rather
        creating new imagery (that's the potentially annoying part).

        It's obvious that the two cels shown are several frames apart because
        the spidey character's position changes slightly (although they
        state "same shot, after resoration" -- that's not a big deal...)

        The annoying part is that some portions seem to have been re-created
        (the new one has the end of the webbing showing three strands, not
        two, windows missing from under spidey's right arm). I would feel
        somehow ripped off if I watched/purchased a new release of this stuff
        and all they did was use the old frames as template/overlay to create
        completely new digital images. Call me a purist.

        Now before you go writing me off as a paranoid "Comic Guy" from the
        Simpsons with a lot of time on his hands, perhaps you should know
        where this attention to detail comes from (hee hee). 20 years in the
        commercial art business and a very picky attitude with respect to art
        in general (and especially revamps of old classics).

        Anyway, It will be interesting to see what develops with BVI.

        Yes, thanks to Chris for the invite to this group.

        Gerald
        http://members.shaw.ca/geraldad

        --- In spidey-jazz@y..., Doug Carlson <carlsond@m...> wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > Thanks to Chris Want first of all for the invitation to join this
        list.

        > Has everyone heard about Buena Vista International's remastering of
        the Spidey series by now? I made some inquiries because at first the
        press release suggested they were going to clean up the video and
        wipe the soundtrack completely, then rebuild it with new modern
        voices, new sound fx and ...gulp...new music!

        > I've received a couple of replies from BVI, and one of them said
        that they are not going to tamper with the original music,
        just "enhance" it. Still,
        > I have my suspicions!
        >
        > Doug Carlson
        > Winnipeg
      • Doug Carlson
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5 6:21 PM
          Relax, Gerald. I went through the "Spidey waving" sequence frame by frame
          on the "Ultimate Villain Showdown" DVD. The cels shown on the BVITV press
          release are indeed not the same--why they claim they are is beyond me,
          since even a child can see that Spidey's relation to the buildings in the
          background changes slightly. In fact they are two frames apart.

          In the next frame, the end of the web does indeed grow a third strand, and
          the buildings in the background move slightly as Spidey passes through the
          frame. His body covers the building with the windows, which obscures it
          from view.

          The good news is there is absolutely no new amination in this "restored" cel.

          Doug

          At 02:02 AM 12/5/2002 -0000, you wrote:
          >Hi there,
          >
          >Just read the BVI press release. Yep, you're right. It does sound
          >suspicious. Moreover, I'm curious (in an annoyed way) that
          >the "restored" cel seems to have some differences that make it seem
          >like they're not simply restoring an age-battered cel, but rather
          >creating new imagery (that's the potentially annoying part).
          >
          >It's obvious that the two cels shown are several frames apart because
          >the spidey character's position changes slightly (although they
          >state "same shot, after resoration" -- that's not a big deal...)
          >
          >The annoying part is that some portions seem to have been re-created
          >(the new one has the end of the webbing showing three strands, not
          >two, windows missing from under spidey's right arm). I would feel
          >somehow ripped off if I watched/purchased a new release of this stuff
          >and all they did was use the old frames as template/overlay to create
          >completely new digital images. Call me a purist.
          >
          >Now before you go writing me off as a paranoid "Comic Guy" from the
          >Simpsons with a lot of time on his hands, perhaps you should know
          >where this attention to detail comes from (hee hee). 20 years in the
          >commercial art business and a very picky attitude with respect to art
          >in general (and especially revamps of old classics).
          >
          >Anyway, It will be interesting to see what develops with BVI.
          >
          >Yes, thanks to Chris for the invite to this group.
          >
          >Gerald
          >http://members.shaw.ca/geraldad

        • Chris Want
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5 7:14 PM
            > I've received a couple of replies from BVI, and one of them said
            that they
            > are not going to tamper with the original music, just "enhance" it.
            Still,
            > I have my suspicions!

            Maybe they have a better quality version
            of the music than the stuff that gets
            played on TV -- it would be very difficult
            to enhance the quality of the stuff I've
            heard on TV.

            Chris
          • Doug Carlson
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5 8:30 PM
              I guess it begs the question--who has the master tapes of the music? Ray
              Ellis? Or does BVI even need them if they have the original 35mm elements.

              I really hope one of the members from 'Volume' ends up joining so we might
              finally have a chance to pose a few questions to Ray Ellis himself.