RE: [spidey-jazz] Re: Spidey CD's

  • STERLING CLARK
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 23, 2013
      Henry,

      As singer Tom Jones once said, that's not unusual. Used to do the same thing myself with Spidey, Kolchak, Night Gallery, etc... So is your home version remastered at all for sound quality? I'm not worried about the dialogue. All Spidey talks about is how he swung halfway across the US (without any buildings to swing from)!

      Sterling

      To: spidey-jazz@yahoogroups.com
      From: hkujawa@...
      Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 00:45:02 +0000
      Subject: [spidey-jazz] Re: Spidey CD's

      STERLING CLARK wrote:
      "Henry,I traded with you some years back when you only had two CDs. Love them. So tell me, did you ever find the highly sought -after track from the "Home" episode?If so, I'm sending $!"

      Not exactly. Near the end of the "1967" disc (the new one, never mind that only the first section is 1st season music) there's a whole "suite" from HOME, but, it's all straight from the videotapes, with dialogue included. The cross-country chase IS among them. Can't be helped... of course, when I was a kid, I put together a lot of "TV" tapes like that.

      When I watch episodes of certain shows, some scenes stick out for me much more than others, specifically because for MANY years, those scenes were on these "TV" tapes I assembled by sitting in front of the TV holding the microphone and WAITING until my favorite scenes would come up. I did this with GET SMART, THE MONKEES, STAR TREK...

      "ALL RIGHT, you disloyal, computerized halfbreed, we'll SEE about you deserting my ship!"

      --from "THIS SIDE OF PARADISE"

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 23, 2013
        STERLING CLARK wrote:
        "So is your home version remastered at all for sound quality? I'm not worried about the dialogue. All Spidey talks about is how he swung halfway across the US (without any buildings to swing from)!"

        What happened was, so many people kept talking about and asking about the Ray Ellis tracks, I threw my hands up and very quickly assembled a new comp, which became the 3rd disc ("SPIDER-MAN 1967"), and I tossed in everything that had been found since the 1st disc ("1968").

        To fill it out, I included the entire "HOME" suite taken from Stephane Dubuc's "CLASSIC SPIDER-MAN SOUNDTRACK MUSIC" comp of some years before. There's one additional track in there somewhere which someone in the group found, which I slotted into the right sequence.

        About a year or so after I started sending out copies of "1967", I decided I really, really wanted to clean it up better. Every one of the Ray Ellis tracks was either slightly remastered, recut for length, or both, except for 2 of them, which I replaced with new copies taken off my own copy of the DVD set.

        Some of the other tracks may have been cleaned up a bit here and there as well. I know the "alternate" version of "Stop Look And Listen" (the one with the extra horns) was WAY too loud on the initial CDs I threw together. Little things like that.

        I also re-did the track order. So now, most of the Ray Ellis tracks are in the order they appeared in the cartoons (just like on the "1968" disc), and I re-did the order of some of the later "suites" as well.

        I recall the single trickiest bit was "Power Drive". Some of you may recall, there were no less than 4 different versions of that floating around here, and at one point, I was sending all 4 versions by e-mail to people (this was before I put the comp together).

        Then, a 5th, SUPERIOR version turned up-- as part of a 30-min. radio show. I had to download the entire 30-min. track, then cut it up to get "Power Drive". But here's the killer. The ending CUT OFF too quick. Well... I FIXED it!!! It was, I think, the first time I ever used "time distortion" in my sound editor program. I managed, somehow, to double the length of the fade-out WITHOUT causing any noticeable change in tone.

        Hey-- even I was impressed! : )

        I've tried that trick a time or two since, and most of the time, it DOESN'T work. Somehow, on "Power Drive", it did. What luck!

        Anyway, "CHASING THE SPHERE" (track 55!!) sounds pretty good.

        Naturally, I dearly wish ALL of this stuff would turn up in its original, unedited, undubbed-over form. Only a small portion of the "1967" comp contains sound effects and dialogue. All of those, we still have NO IDEA of the original names of the tracks, or who the composers were, or where any of them originally appeared. It's frustrating!

        The crazy thing is, a pile of tracks that were found a couple years ago by some of our members here-- neatly hidden among a TON of tracks on "CPM" comps at the KPM site-- those comps have been taken down from the site. GOOD THING I downloaded them when i had the chance! (They include most of the "Peter Parker" guitar tracks-- the ones that tend to all sound alike after awhile. I'm glad somebody else was able to find and identify those. It would have taken me forever to figure out which one was which.)

        And of course... there's STILL a pile of tracks that have not turned up at all. Unless one copies them off the DVDs...

        Who wrote this stuff? Which library? What albums? NO idea! And I've been in this group over 8 years now.

        Henry
      • Seanderson9100
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 24, 2013
          I am interested how should  I proceed?

          Sent from Samsung Mobile

          profh0011 <hkujawa@...> wrote:

          Okay, guys, listen up. Things are BAD at this end right now. They could turn around any day, but, until they do, I'm putting a temporary halt on trading.

          If there's anyone out there who'd like to get their hands on the 3 SPIDEY discs I'm copying off, let's make it simple... SEND CASH. $15.00 wrapped in foil (no checks, no money orders, no Paypal, etc.)

          Simply, this will make it easy for me to buy blank CDs and pay for shipping.

          As before, there's 3 discs right now:

          SPIDER-MAN 1968 (70+ min. of mostly-KPM music, remastered as best as possible)

          SPIDEY COVERS (mostly-instrumental versions of Ray Ellis tracks, including the entire Volume album, Moxxi, and more)

          SPIDER-MAN 1967 (Dan O'Shannon's wonderful Ray Ellis score comp, now heavily remastered, plus loads more KPM & Capitol tracks, including the highly-popular "Power Drive" by Johnny Pearson, the BEST version of this you'll hear anywhere!)

          E-mail me first before sending anything so I can be on the lookout for it, and please write "SPIDEY JAZZ" somewhere on the envelope when you do send something.

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 24, 2013
            Seanderson9100 wrote:
            "I am interested how should I proceed?"

            E-mail me DIRECT and we'll set it up.

            Henry
          • wildbillwebb
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 20, 2013
              Here's some interesting stuff anyone out there with a little extra cash might be interested in. eBay has a whole lot of KPM 78rpms up for grabs right now. They're sold separately and with shipping from England would probably run about $30 apiece.

              One of them appears to be Johnny Pearson's "Power Drive" album. I'm guessing that there are others with Spider Tracks in them as well.

              I'm wondering if KPM even has any of these anymore.

              Cheers,

              Bill Webb
            • donaldwiggins68
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 29, 2014
                I know it's been awhile, but do you still do trades?
              • Kris Rutkowski
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 30, 2014
                  Hello,

                  I am still very interested in the old Spidey music from the 1960s.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to focus attention on these because of urgent family matters.  I still would like to follow the group and perhaps, I will have some more leisure time to devote to this subject later in the Summer.

                  If you can, please let me know the latest on the Spidey music scene and any other pertinent information that you feel that I should be acquainted with.  This would be invaluable to me and it would also save me time.

                  Thanks in Advance!

                  Kris

                  To: spidey-jazz@yahoogroups.com
                  From: spidey-jazz@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 20:04:51 -0700

                  I know it's been awhile, but do you still do trades?