Re: [spidey-jazz] Things learned from Spidey 1967

  • GERALD ADAMS
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 21, 2012
      One more quick story in this regard. As a young boy in the early 1970's, we did not have cable TV and our set was a black and white model. Thus, the "In Color" opener would have actually been a useful thing to see in that it would have encouraged viewers to consider upgrading to take advantage of the "marvel" of color programs.

      I spent many of my formative years watching 2 channels only - CBC and the local CKY. CBC had little in the cartoon vein (other than the once-yearly "Peter Puck" segments on Hockey Night in Canada (which we absolutely ate up!). However, CKY was always showing a cartoon entitled "Colonel Bleep" (see the link below). Here's the funny part: over the next few dacades, I would often recall that old black and white cartoon about the spaceman and his funny caveman partner. After calling a few friends and having none of them even remotely know what I was talking about, I went to the web one day and found Colonel Bleep after a bit of searching. THEN I stared dumbfounded at the screen as I came to the realization that Colonel Bleep was actually created "In Color"!All of these years I had simply assumed that it was a black and white broadcast. I even told people "no-no-no - it was an old black and white cartoon...". D'uh. I'm involved in Media and video work, and I felt especially silly to realize that something that obvious escaped my pea brain.

      I won't even share the feelings I had upon realizing that the bands I heard on the radio were not actually down at the station singing live each song... :)

      Gerald

      From: GERALD ADAMS <geraldad@...>
      Date: Monday, September 17, 2012 10:58 am
      Subject: [spidey-jazz] Things learned from Spidey 1967
      To: spidey-jazz@yahoogroups.com

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Thought you might get a kick out of this guys "observations" re:
      > 1967 Spidey...
      >
      > http://forums.icine.org/things-i-ve-learned-from-the-1960s-
      > spider-man-cartoon-series-t190.html

    • GERALD ADAMS
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 21, 2012
        Oops, here was the link to Colonel Bleep - noted as the first color cartoon ever made for television.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Bleep

        Gerald

        Awesome. He left out the truly awful haircuts as part of the bad fashion sense. :-)

        > Thought you might get a kick out of this guys "observations" re:
        > 1967 Spidey...
        >
        > http://forums.icine.org/things-i-ve-learned-from-the-1960s-
        > spider-man-cartoon-series-t190.html

      • Michael Dorosh
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 21, 2012
          I love the way FOX sports puts their score overlays off the edge of the screen for regular TV broadcasting, pretty much punishing anyone who does not want to upgrade to HD TV. Same principle. I'm kind of in a place where I refuse to buy HD TV just to spite them. I suppose soon it will not be optional, just as I held off buying Blu-Ray for years, only to find new offerings had more optional features than DVD releases, so I was only punishing myself.

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 21, 2012
            GERALD ADAMS wrote:
            "our set was a black and white model. Thus, the "In Color" opener would have actually been a useful thing to see in that it would have encouraged viewers to consider upgrading to take advantage of the "marvel" of color programs."

            For the first 5-6 weeks it was on, I saw the Adam West BATMAN in B&W. I was surprised when, after getting our 1st color set, that The Penguin's outfit was PURPLE.

            Also, we used to watch THE AVENGERS (with Diana Rigg) upstairs, as it was on so late, on a B&W set (we only had one color set, in the living room).

            "CKY was always showing a cartoon entitled "Colonel Bleep" (see the link below). Here's the funny part: over the next few dacades, I would often recall that old black and white cartoon about the spaceman and his funny caveman partner. After calling a few friends and having none of them even remotely know what I was talking about, I went to the web one day and found Colonel Bleep after a bit of searching. THEN I stared dumbfounded at the screen as I came to the realization that Colonel Bleep was actually created "In Color"!All of these years I had simply assumed that it was a black and white broadcast."

            Fellow soundtrack music fan Dan Matheson sent me a videotape collection of COLONEL BLEEP, which I had not seen since the mid-60's, when it was shown as part of the "PIXANNE" show (a kiddie show hosted by Jane Norman, whose character was a sort of "grown up" version of Tinkerbell-- I think).

            Dan is the SAME guy who sent me some "KPM" music-- first on tape, then on CD (both copied from SCRATCHY LPs). That was how I found out about the KPM Library, back in 2002. The amazing thing was, Dan had NEVER SEEN the SPIDER-MAN cartoons, and had no idea this mucic he liked and was so familiar with had been used on the show!

            If not for him, all that went on here in this Yahoo group in late 2004 might never have happened (or it might have taken a lot longer).

            This may explain to anyone who'se gotten copies of the "SPIDER-MAN 1968" disc and read the "Thanks to" fine print exactly who Dan was! (Sadly, I lost touch with him about 2 years before Jim Fielding told me about this group, the day we BOTH joined.)

            Henry
          • Rodney Forsberg
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 28, 2012
              I know! Don't you LOVE 'planned obsolescence'?  (Anyone who remembers their Social 30 remembers that term..) I got a 55 inch 3D television only because the store owner gave me an excellent deal as he was shutting his doors down the road.. but now I find I'm paying EVEN MORE more for HD channels!!  Arggh!! will the corporations EVER stop screwing us over!!  Just for those who want a good idea of what I'm talking about check out the free documentary "Owned and Operated"..

              --Rodd--