early Marvel licensing

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2012
      I thought I'd share this. Someone at MASTERWORKS mentioned that for many years, Marvel mad e a LOT of really BAD deals with some very questionable people. Here's my response.

      For some reason, the FIRST thing that comes to mind is the deal Martin Goodman made with Steve Krantz to do the TV cartoons.Instead of finding an animation studio and making a deal with THEM, Goodman made a deal with a guy who then made a deal with several different studios, including Grantray-Lawrence. When G-L upgraded the quality of their output from THE MARVEL SUPER-HEROES SHOW to SPIDER-MAN, they were stretching their budget right to the extreme limits. This might not have HAD to be the case, if Goodman had made the deal with G-L, instead of with Krantz. Krantz apparently got SO MUCH of the money, only a certain portion actually made its way to the people doing the work.

      ONE slip-up was all it took-- and G-L went BANKRUPT (exactly one week into production of the 2nd season). Krantz was then forced at short notice, and for EVEN LESS money, to set up a new studio on his own, with Ralph Bakshi running it, in a dismal warehouse somewhere in NYC. That quality of the "Krantz Films" cartoons was ABYSMAL, apart from having Gray Morrow doing storyboards (for which they had NO budget to have them animated properly), and the use of KPM & Capitol Library music (which tended to be, by a wide margin, the BEST part of the later shows, and the best reason for watching them).

      By all accounts... it sounds to me things happened the way they did because Krantz was probably exactly the kind of guy a guy like Goodman was most comfortable dealing with. THINK ABOUT IT.