SPIDER-MAN 1967

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 5, 2012
      Well, after having my hands on Dan O'Shannon's "Ray Ellis DVD-rip" CD for 26 months, today, I FINALLY tackled "remastering" it.

      EVERY one of the 27 Ray Ellis tracks has now been RECUT for length-- they tended to have way too much blank space at the beginning, or end, or both. A few have been run thru "equalizer", because they were too muffled and needed the treble (and sometimes the bass as well) cranked up. But the other REALLY ANNOYING thing was the way most of the tracks just CUT OFF abruptly at the end. I've done my best on most of these to have the sound "fade out" more naturally. Even a very quick fade sounds better than just having the sound END with no warning.

      What this means is that everyone who's already gotten a copy of the "1967" comp from me now has a disc I'd consider obsolete. (Remember, I did say last year I considered this thing a "work in progress".) On the up side, anyone who HASN'T gotten one yet, and wants one, will be getting one MUCH better than what I had been sending out, up to just a few weeks ago.

      Actually, 2 of the tracks have been completely replaced. The "Spider-Man Theme instro" had sound effects, and both the beginning and end were missing a bit. I REPLACED this with the "Spider-Man Theme instro" from the "1968" comp (it's the IDENTICAL track), which does NOT have sound effects, is cut much better, and has much better sound quality (which may be due to Kyle Taylor-- I can't remember at this point between the two of us which versions of each track went into the finished comp back in 2004). The odd thing about this is, this track originally came straight off the DVD set. Why did Dan O'Shannon NOT just use the same one?

      In addition, "Spidey Swings Off" (often heard at the end of stories) had both the beginning and end missing, and I REPLACED this with one I recently transferred direct from MY OWN copy of the DVDs, in fact, from the 1st story, "The Power Of Dr. Octopus". As-is, in the cartoon, it was more "complete" than what Dan O'Shannon included on his comp. (Another mystery.)

      I'm probably gonna re-order the tracks, if only to put the ones from the 1st story at the beginning of the comp. So "On The Scene" will no doubt be the first song heard after the theme song.

      This took pretty much the WHOLE afternoon. Just thought I'd pass this on!

      Henry
    • Michael Dorosh
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 5, 2012
        How do we obtain a copy? I do not have any of the earlier compilations, and the only reason I joined this group, really, was to see about obtaining a copy of some uninterrupted music score from the original cartoon series, specifically year 1.

        Good news, it sounds like, unless you are saying we need to produce some kind of rare music gem in "trade". I'm not a music collector, and therefore have nothing to offer.

        Michael

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 5, 2012
          Hi Henry;
          Consider yourself emailed! Smile emoticon Thanks in advance.
          Michael

          Just send me an e-mail direct and we can set up some knid of trade.

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 5, 2012

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 5, 2012
              The plot continues...

              Only dealing with what was on the Dan O'Shannon disc (so far), I now have a "suites" for "THE POWER OF DR. OCTOPUS" consisting of 7 songs, and "SUB-ZERO FOR SPIDEY" of 5 songs.

              This is now closer to being an equivalent to what I did with the "1968" comp way back in 2004.

              Tell the truth, I'm tempted to insert the "missing" tracks with the voice-overs included. (At the very least, "Villainous Schemes", where Doc Ock gloats is just screaming to be included, voice and all.)

              Of course, the hope is that once I've separated, identifed and named each of the tracks, I may be able to find "clean" versions of them later in the series. (But, at this point, no way of knowing.)

              At the moment, assuming I don't add any more tracks, there are now 14 tracks "left over" (NOT from the first 2 stories) which I'm gonna have to re-order now so they "flow" better as a set (much as I did with some of the later tracks on the "1968" comp).

              Henry
            • thesigma@optonline.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 7, 2012
                I would like to receive a copy as well--please let me know how I might!
                Thanks
                Rich

                > How do we obtain a copy? I do not have any of the earlier
                > compilations, and the only reason I joined this group, really,
                > was to see about obtaining a copy of some uninterrupted music
                > score from the original cartoon series, specifically year 1.
                >
                > Good news, it sounds like, unless you are saying we need to
                > produce some kind of rare music gem in "trade". I'm not a music
                > collector, and therefore have nothing to offer.
                >
                > Michael

              • ty ty
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 7, 2012
                  i too would like to receive a copy of that album .. i was wondering whether it was going to be shared or just dangled...lol

                • eightman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 7, 2012
                    Henry:

                    This may be a good time for you to explain why you won't accept monetary compensation for this work as opposed to trade.  I know I struggled mightily trying to find something you didn't have.  I'm at a point in my life that if I can't buy it, then I'm just not getting it.  Assuming, I have the cash of course.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 7, 2012
                      eightman wrote:
                      "Henry: This may be a good time for you to explain why you won't accept monetary compensation for this work as opposed to trade.  I know I struggled mightily trying to find something you didn't have.  I'm at a point in my life that if I can't buy it, then I'm just not getting it.  Assuming, I have the cash of course."

                      Back when the first comp was being put together, several people in this group got help from APM. As a result, nobody wanted to piss them off. I agree. It's THEIR music, and they're still in the biz of licensing it.

                      So, trading's the way to go. Also, it's more fun (and I've gotten a lot of terrific stuff from people here, and hopefully that's worked both ways).

                      I will take cash if someone has NOTHING ELSE... but only "to cover expenses". I figure, NOBODY's making any profit off this, except the people who sell blank discs, envelopes, and the Post Office.

                      E-mail me direct and we can set something up.

                      By the way: "SPIDER-MAN 1967" v3 is DONE. (For now!) Just gotta upgrade the art now.

                      Henry
                    • Anil
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 7, 2012
                        I have to agree. It also took me a while to find something for you. I'll die if I can't get this new disc. I'll send you an email to discuss a trade. I'm happy to try to find something for you, but if all else fails, I'm also hoping you would consider cash.

                        Anil

                        --- In spidey-jazz@yahoogroups.com, eightman <eight8man@...> wrote:

                        > Henry:
                        >
                        > This may be a good time for you to explain why you won't accept monetary compensation for this work as opposed to trade.  I know I struggled mightily trying to find something you didn't have.  I'm at a point in my life that if I can't buy it, then I'm just not getting it.  Assuming, I have the cash of course.

                      • Michael Dorosh
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 11, 2012
                          Resending - didn't get a reply, apologies if you sent one.

                          Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 8:23 PM
                          Subject: Re: [spidey-jazz] Re: SPIDER-MAN 1967