Re: Spider man 'toons

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011
      "Rod" wrote:
      "all the cops in NY seemed to have grade 2 educations since they read Spiderman's notes a) out loud b) VERY SLOWLY.. and c) using their fingers to follow along the lines since they couldn't have great depth perception...(!)"

      FUNNY!!!

      I liked the fact that, barring the odd story where they think Spidey's gone bad, generally, NYC cops seemed to feel he was on their side. NOT how it usually was in the comics, which never made sense, with all those costumed heroes running around the NYC of the Marvel Universe, yet this ONE guy is constantly looked on as a "menace". (Why didn't JJJ constantly harrass EVERY OTHER costumed hero in NYC???)

      "Tell me, Parker, what makes a man like Jameson turn to crime?"
      "Noah Boddy knows the answer to that, officer!"
    • eightman
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011
        Rod"

        I'm glad you mentioned that.  It's amazing how well the voices for Peter Parker and Spider-man turned out in the '67 series.  It was almost as if Peter the boy became the man when he donned the mask.  It was a virtual transformation.  Of all the things to come out of that series, I think the Spider-Man/Peter Parker voicing was one of the best in cartoon history second only to Kevin Conroy as Batman/Bruce Wayne and Bud Colyer as Superman in the Adventures of Superman filmation series.

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011
          Heh heh heh.. yeah me and my brother joked about that since we were like 8..  I always particularly loved the second cop with his head craned over his buddy's shoulder (no doubt he's named 'Mac') as the other ran his finger across the note.. "TWO.. FOOLISH.. FLIES.. CAPTURED.. BY YOUR.. FRIENDLY.. **ooh BIG word --sound it out fellas** NEIGH..BOR..HOOD.. **Extra long pause**   SPIDER MAN!! ((Pronounced with surprise as if it was a CERTAIN 'Spider-man' in PARTICULAR almost as if there's others around.))

          Yeah I got a kick out of that too.. New York is STILL an island that's only about 20 some odd square miles so with all those damn heroes occupying NY you'd think someone else would earn JJJ's enmity...  But then again I'm sure when they created Spider-man and did the series in Canada, they decided that Spider-man and Spider-man and alone lived there!  Which raises the question (if that was the case) that in the second series (90's) when every hero in Marvel Universe showed up, why didn't the ANY other heroes raise Jonah's ire??

          BUT.. I guess we have to look at it from the original perspective of Stan Lee.. you see Spider-man's 'greatest villain' isn't someone with super powers.. but (presumably) the power to sway public opinion.  That's why in the 60's series the 'big hint' that JJJ was the enemy.. was his HITLER mustache!!  Amazing how they replicated it back then but today is considered too politically 'incorrect' so Ed Asner was 'given' a regular mustache.  But I guess they did restore it on him in Spectacular Spider-man only to give him a 'soul patch' as well.

          Rod

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011
            Frankly  I think Bernard Cowan set the precedent for voicing masked heroes..  SECOND to Kevin Conroy?  Wow I'd have rated him above.. with Conroy a close second..   But I have to admit Diedrich Bader is pretty close to Conroy even if the scripts of Batman Brave and Bold can border on Campy.

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011
              I can't argue with you recognition of either.

            • lawford42@juno.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 23, 2011
                "Rod" <roddthunderheart@...> wrote:

                >>Probably my two most amusing thoughts of the old series was that
                seeemed no matter what type of job they'd hold virtually every 'second person' in the series was named 'Mac'! "Hey Mac look at this! "Hey Mac a load of this!" Mac I'm going to.." <<

                I always though it was actually 'mack', as in 'buddy', 'pal' etc.

                >>Secondly that all the cops in NY seemed to have grade 2 educations
                since they read Spiderman's notes a) out loud b) VERY SLOWLY.. and c) using their fingers to follow along the lines since they couldn't have great depth perception.. .(!)  <<

                Remember the target audience. Could have been done so children could read along.

                >>Frankly  I think Bernard Cowan set the precedent for voicing
                masked heroes.. <<

                Which heroes did he voice? I thought he just did the narration and background characters.

                >>That's why in the 60's series the 'big hint' that JJJ was the
                enemy.. was his HITLER mustache!!  Amazing how they replicated it back then but today is considered too politically 'incorrect' so Ed Asner was 'given' a regular mustache. <<

                Any images I've seen shows JJJ from the 90's series with essentially the same mustache.

                >>But I guess they did restore it on him in Spectacular Spider-man
                only to give him a 'soul patch' as well. <<

                I have no idea what that means...

                Pretty sure that was Paul Soles' idea. Maybe he referred to it on the http://www.wallopinwebsnappers.com/ site? It may have been referenced in the original comic series as well (back in the 60's), but unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to read those.

                >>Of all the things to come out of that series, I think the
                Spider-Man/Peter Parker voicing was one of the best in cartoon history second only to Kevin Conroy as Batman/Bruce Wayne and Bud Colyer as Superman in the Adventures of Superman filmation series. <<

                No love for his Clark Kent?

                Chris L.

                57-Year-Old Mom Looks 25
                ConsumerLifestyles.org
              • spikethevote
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 23, 2011
                  It's a slight difference, but the 90's series mustache does usually seem to be wider and not as tall (I.E. more space between the lower edge and the upper lip). The sides are also not usually parallel/straight up and down.

                  And a soul patch is a small goatee or "patch" of hair on the chin.

                  --- In spidey-jazz@yahoogroups.com, lawford42@... wrote:

                  > >>That's why in the 60's series the 'big hint' that JJJ was the enemy..
                  > was his HITLER mustache!! Amazing how they replicated it back then but
                  > today is considered too politically 'incorrect' so Ed Asner was 'given' a
                  > regular mustache. <<
                  >
                  > Any images I've seen shows JJJ from the 90's series with essentially the
                  > same mustache.
                  >

                  > >>But I guess they did restore it on him in Spectacular Spider-man only
                  > to give him a 'soul patch' as well. <<
                  >
                  > I have no idea what that means...
                • Jason M
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 24, 2011
                    I have to say that to this day, whenever I read a Spider-Man comic book story, the voices of Spider-Man/Peter Parker, JJJ, and Betty from this series are the voices I "hear".

                    I think Dan Gilvezan, Edward Asner, Josh Keaton, etc did great work, but the first voices you hear are the ones that stick with you.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 24, 2011
                      Jason M wrote:
                      "I have to say that to this day, whenever I read a Spider-Man comic book story, the voices of Spider-Man/Peter Parker, JJJ, and Betty from this series are the voices I "hear".
                      I think Dan Gilvezan, Edward Asner, Josh Keaton, etc did great work, but the first voices you hear are the ones that stick with you."

                      I feel the same way. To me, it's criminal the later studios didn't seek out the voice actors from the '67 cartoons.

                      I feel the same way about FANTASTIC FOUR...

                      Gerald Mohr -- Reed Richards
                      Jo An Pflug -- Sue Richards
                      Paul Frees -- Ben Grimm, The Watcher, etc.
                      Ted Cassidy -- Galactus
                      Vic Perrin -- The Silver Surfer
                      Mike Road -- Prince Triton
                      Henry Corden -- Attuma
                      Harvey Korman -- Dr. Doom *

                      (* I don't care what it says, the IMDB is wrong!)
                    • Rodney Forsberg
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 24, 2011
                        Totally..  Although I liked the storylines from the 90's Spider-man (and I've seen that on the Disney XD channel is now airing them) and of the voices that have been Spider-man only Christopher Daniel Barnes comes close but still nobody holds a candle to Paul Soles (oops.. meant Paul Soles earlier not Bernard Cowan  --though he did voice many enemies)  He made such an impression on everyone and he DID point out on the webslingers weebsite that he did try to make difference between Peter and Spidey.  Seriously that is the first voice I hear when reading anything comic related.  Josh Keaton voices Spidey.. but Christopher Daniel Barnes voices Miguel O'Hara/Spider-man 2099 in the new "Spider-Man Edge of Time".. I highly recommend it.. it starts OFF with the DEATH of Spider-Man!!  A must have for Spidey fans!

                        Rod

> [...]

                        Posted by: "spikethevote" mugenmidget@...   spikethevote

                        Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:02 pm (PDT)

                        It's a slight difference, but the 90's series mustache does usually seem to be wider and not as tall (I.E. more space between the lower edge and the upper lip). The sides are also not usually parallel/straight up and down.

                        And a soul patch is a small goatee or "patch" of hair on the chin.

                        --- In spidey-jazz@ yahoogroups. com, lawford42@.. . wrote:

                        > >>That's why in the 60's series the 'big hint' that JJJ was the enemy..
                        > was his HITLER mustache!! Amazing how they replicated it back then but
                        > today is considered too politically 'incorrect' so Ed Asner was 'given' a
                        > regular mustache. <<
                        >
                        > Any images I've seen shows JJJ from the 90's series with essentially the
                        > same mustache.
                        >

                        > >>But I guess they did restore it on him in Spectacular Spider-man only

                        Check out the
                        Stay up to speed
                        on all things Groups!
                        Yahoo! Groups
                        Join a group of dog owners
                        who do more.
                        Y! Entertainment
                        Rediscover the force.
                        Explore now.
                        Need to Reply?

                      • Rodney Forsberg
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 24, 2011

                          Totally..  Although I liked the storylines from the 90's Spider-man (and I've seen that on the Disney XD channel is now airing them) and of the voices that have been Spider-man only Christopher Daniel Barnes comes close but still nobody holds a candle to Paul Soles (oops.. meant Paul Soles earlier not Bernard Cowan  --though he did voice many enemies)  He made such an impression on everyone and he DID point out on the webslingers weebsite that he did try to make difference between Peter and Spidey.  Seriously that is the first voice I hear when reading anything comic related.  Josh Keaton voices Spidey.. but Christopher Daniel Barnes voices Miguel O'Hara/Spider-man 2099 in the new "Spider-Man Edge of Time".. I highly recommend it.. it starts OFF with the DEATH of Spider-Man!!  A must have for Spidey fans!

                          Rod

                          Oh.. and ADDITIONALLY.. I think we can ALL agree wholeheartedly that Spider-Man had far and AWAY the absolute BEST THEME SONG!!!  Consider the Live Action (read the money spent on the show versus Spider-Man cartoon in  60's) Batman theme song.. "Da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da BATMAN.. BATMAN..da da da da da.."  **shudders**  It doesn't even RHYME.. Uggggh.. clearly they spent too much money on costumes/makeup on villains to have any left over for a decent theme song!!  Nobody ever has as good a theme since.. WHEW!!  Even the 90's song.. all they could seem to come up with singing about his radioactive blood.. ((boy they EARNED their MONEY'S worth coming with that gem...))  Even the Spectacular Spider-Man theme song pales in comparision!!  NOTHING AND NOONE EVER HAS A GOOD SONG AS SPIDEY!!  And special mention to Tommy Tallerico who 'remixed' the 60's song making an updated version for the new millenium even if it never caught on..  (Hint: put the cursor on the screen to see lyrics put in from old song)

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psdl5xRmrZ0

                          Rod