Question: How To Record Streaming Audio

  • northwestirish
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4, 2011
      Hi,

      I'm sure this has been answered many times, but I seem to recall Henry had a pretty easy step-by-step way to record streaming audio to some sort of WAV/MP3 file. I was listening to some clips recently that cannot be downloaded for some reason (they just show up as 'ram') even though they -play- just fine through VLC and they -do- have a 'download MP3' link as an option.

      Can someone tell me how to do this?

      Windows XP SP3. I have VLC and MediaPlayer.

      TIA,

      ---JC
      Message 2 of 8 , May 5, 2011
        "northwestirish" wrote:
        "Can someone tell me how to do this?"

        Someone here (I think) suggested way back in 2004 to use a program designed especially for this. I got "TOTAL RECORDER", I actually forget if I paid for this or got it free, but the ONLY thing I use it for is to save streaming media like "Real" media and the like as WAV files. I usually have to use my sound editor afterwards to edit the beginning and end of the files, and re-save as MP3s if I wish. I usually dump WAV files onto CDs-- higher quality-- and only create MP3s for e-mail or to have handy extra copies on the computer. There is always a drop in quality, however small, when you covert to an MP3.

        Last year I recorded a TON of music off LAST.FM.

        I got a copy of GOLD WAVE sound editor-- best $40 I ever spent. Ever since, people have been reccomending free programs. Ah well. One thing I'm pretty sure it doesn't do is allow you to record streaming media. Which is why I needed the TOTAL RECORDER.

        I imagine someone here can steer you to a free program.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2011
          This is interesting... I was just trying to copy some tracks from a CD to my computer. I usually do this with my GOLD WAVE sound editor, but I ran across a problem I haven't seen in some time. ONE of the tracks refused to copy, it said "cannot read media". (I was copying part of Stephane Dubuc's "Classic Spider-Man Background Music" comp. the one with all the dialogue and electrical crackling noises.)

          However, I WAS able to copy it using Windows Media Player. I know I've done this before, but it's been many years. Nice to know I was still able to figure it out.

          Another alternative I've used, but don't reccomend unless you have to, is to play it on the regular CD player, and copy it "over the wires". But this involves editing afterwards, and can be a hassle. Usually, I only do that when copying VINYL or CASSETTES from my stereo system!

          Henry
        • Terry Baker
          Message 4 of 8 , May 5, 2011

            Guys, does anyone have a definitive collection of Spidey jazz on One easy source that I could perchance purchase?

            Regards,

            Terry

            Message 5 of 8 , May 5, 2011
              "Terry Baker" wrote:
              "Guys, does anyone have a definitive collection of Spidey jazz on One easy source that I could perchance purchase?"

              To everyone who's joined recently and hasn't read thru the old posts... just e-mail me direct, we can set up a trade.

              At the moment there's 2 discs which together make a nice set...

              SPIDER-MAN 1968 (70+ min. of KPM tracks)

              SPIDEY COVERS (mostly-instrumental versions of Ray Ellis' score)

              It's still far from everything, but it's what we've got so far!

              Message 6 of 8 , May 5, 2011
                Does anyone here remember the "BLACK CAESAR" radio spot? It featured some KPM music that had also been used on SPIDER-MAN.

                I was trying to include it on a disc I was running off, and repeatedly, my "RECORD NOW!" CD-writer program kept telling me, "NOT a valid audio file".

                I tried re-saving it from MP3 to WAV, changing the sampling rate, nothing worked.

                Then I hit on hitting "COPY", opening a fresh new blank track, and hitting "PASTE". Then I cut the end off to make it the same length as the original, and saved it.

                It worked! Apparently there was something about the formatting of the track, as downloaded, that was eliminated in the "COPY" and "PASTE" stages.

                Amazing that I'd run into 2 unusual technical problems I haven't seen in years, at a point where my computer was recently "fixed" and upgraded. (But I'm sure it's just the tracks that were the problem. Both came from dodgy sources.)

                Henry
              • chris saylor
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 17, 2011
                                   Hi Henry,Thanks for the e-mail.I would love to a get copy of the SPIDER-MAN 1968 (70+ min. of KPM tracks).Please e-mail me and let me know how we could arrange a trade.Thanks Sincerely Chris (cleesaylor@...)

                  "Guys, does anyone have a definitive collection of Spidey jazz on One easy source that I could perchance purchase?"

                  To everyone who's joined recently and hasn't read thru the old posts... just e-mail me direct, we can set up a trade.

                  At the moment there's 2 discs which together make a nice set...

                  SPIDER-MAN 1968 (70+ min. of KPM tracks)

                  SPIDEY COVERS (mostly-instrumental versions of Ray Ellis' score)

                  It's still far from everything, but it's what we've got so far!

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      spidey-jazz-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      spidey-jazz-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Farid SALAH
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 20, 2011
                    Hi guys,

                    I would love to put my hands on these !

                    Is there anyway we could arrange for a trade of some sort.
                    I live in Paris France but have friends and family in the States so
                    anything is possible.

                    Thanks again,

                    Farid from Paris, France.