Re: [SPI] Process Follow

  • Tom Carroway
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 30 6:30 PM
      Thoughts and questions regarding your post.

      First, you're doing the right thing by examining your processes (or lack thereof) and addressing process as a means of improving performance.  Often times the act of examining is equal in value to the "overhead" of documentation after the fact (as your customer refers to it). Not just the Hawthorne effect (which has been shown to be a fallacy by researchers), but just reviewing and sharing an understanding amongst your team can be very helpful.  It often times helps identify the real weakpoints and the real strong points.

      Second, it's good to be absolutely sure that your problems are the result of a lack of process.  I specialize in performance improvement for software development, and 9 times out of 10, the cry for help is a specific request for help in one part of the software development lifecycle, but is an indicator of multiple contributing factors - not all of which are addressable by process.  This is the wisdom I try to espouse and practice as an instructional designer, trainer, and software engineer/manager.  It is a high-ROI step often overlooked or ignored that can help target immediate areas for improvement and results without the struggle of trying to install a major process improvement project (which, typically, becomes another project to manage on top of the load you already have - for many, it's the straw that breaks the camel's back if not planned effectively.)

      Third, you are facing a common problem - resistance to change based on the ego of developers and the misperceptions of a customer.  Your job right now should be less about fighting to define, implement, and use processes and to sway opinions by quoting the experts or preaching - and more about exposing those assumptions or perceptions that are hindering progress toward your process improvement and addressing them first.

      Fourth, there are ways to implement process improvement that are not expensive in time or resources that can show immediate value.  However, this is dependent on several factors and there are always trade-offs when doing rapid SPI / SPEEDSPI (copyrighted by me).  Here are my questions related to the critical success factors in your dilemma:

      1. What measurable business result are you looking for by implementing process?  If the business goal(s) is (are) not directly tied to measurable objective results of SPI, you are already facing internal conflict and barriers to change.  A good way to follow this through is to use the Goal-Question-Metric approach and then cross-correllating with your SPI agenda to make sure you're implementing the most appropriate intervention.

      2. Are you a small shop or a big corporate entity?  The idea is that of inertia.  It takes less energy (theoretically) to get a smaller organization moving than a large one.  Also, in terms of managing shared understanding and Senge's organizational knowledge, it takes different approaches for small teams versus large teams.  SPI is a commitment to continuous improvement, not to pleasing one customer or to making sure you meet your next delivery date.

      3. How are you documenting processes?  In generous detail? Or with a flow chart with a simple "I-P-O" definition?  It is often advisable to document processes (at least initially, when they are first formally documented and defined) at a higher level and to let repetition and use define the changes and details.  This could mean simply having a flowchart with process steps, names of ownership or responsibility, and the required inputs and outputs.  Get repeatable first, get good second.  (p.s. buy the book from The Process Group - Mary Sakry and Neil Potter)

      4. Why do you need to convince the customer that process is important?  If you already have an internal process framework, my guess is you should be using it anyways, and your estimates and rates should reflect that internal business methodology implicitly.  The customer will want to know only cost and schedule and quality targets and results, and unless they see a history of late, over budget, and poor quality, they won't care how you get them the results they are paying for.  Even then, if they still want to do business with you after you've delivered a few projects late, run over budget, or let some major bugs slip through the cracks, it's a sign there's something about your business that they want or need.  Don't lose that.  Also, if the customer doesn't care to be a part of discussions about requirements details or design issues, and doesn't care to see designs or requirements, this doesn't mean you can't implement these standard practices internally to minimize your own risk.

      5. How are you approaching this barrier or resistance to change?  If you tell me you have examined your business and have identified a finite set of manageable and fixable problems and have determined their root causes and contributing factors and have prioritized them in terms of severity and potential for results if fixed, and are targeting the 20% of the problems that have the most immediate and visible impact with the most likely chance of success, I'd say you are doing the right thing.  If you have presented this as, "We need process." you're in for a very long and frustrating journey.  Process is a four-letter word for most people.  Once bitten by poor SPI management and approaches, twice shy in taking the same medicine twice.  Sell solutions to stated problems and barriers and deliver solutions, not the big green monster of process improvement

      In closing, if you're trying to implement process in responseto, or as a reactive measure to, a previous significant negative condition or experience with a project or customer, and you're trying to make it work under pressure and on the first try, you're odds of succeeding are very slim.  The only thing that will tip the odds slightly over 50-50 is if you address the internal resistance (I liked the wisdom provided by pabrachan), and prioritize your goals and objectives - are they meant first and foremost to affect the current project?  One group?  A department?  A company?  Can you get the most amount of impact by Pareto analysis? Are these really process issues?  (may be personality or politics that will trump process every day of the week) And have you done as pabrachan has wisely suggested - focus on the people who want to change, communicate and make your actions visible and express your goals and objectives and results, and if someone says they know better than make them a leader and give them the responsibility to define and implement a process (within reason, of course).

      Best of luck with your situation.  I know it isn't easy.

      Tom Carroway

      p.s. this may sound radical, but you are probably going to have to choose whether or not you want to continue doing business with this customer in the future if they will not pay for your quality assurance processes - this situation will result in your services and products being delivered over budget, late, and without quality, and the customer will eventually find one of those reasons to let you go (and the internal frustration will also take it's toll on your team and turnover numbers) - if you stand by your commitment and internal process control, and can show results using it, you will be able to turn this relationship around and be prepared to lead in this way for future customers.  This customer's demands are putting doing business with them at high risk of failure and frustration for everyone.  It would be disappointing to lose this customer and others if this customer leaves unhappy and starts spreading bad news about your organization.

      p.s.s. after all that, don't be too hesitant to write-off the customer - there are some instances, and I emphasize "some" - where it's feasible to "just do it" - as long as you understand and have agreement on the potential for failure and a lack of "maintainability" and future growth efficiencies by starting without sufficient analysis, quality reviews, documentation, and management.  this is often a business case justification to getting a product on the market quickly - but can have serious and catastrophic impact if you succeed in delivering to market but blow your opportunity with poor software

      Hope there's some insight or help in this post somewhere

      Tom Carroway
      Senior Performance Consultant

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 30 11:33 PM
        First of all, process defines the procedures or steps to carryout the certain activities in a right way...

        1. Software Project Planning process...

        Customer needs regular status on the Progress of the Project activities; This requires you to track the activities of the Project, to track the Project activities, you need to know what are the things you need to track, for this, you should have a Plan: Unless you put the things on the Paper nothing is going to work. If your team understands this, then Project Planning process in place.

        2. Software Project Tracking

        To update the customer about the progress, you have to track the project activates, this also involves visiting the risks, mitigating the risks, identifying new risks or issue, identifying the deviations, taking corrective actions, revising the plan. IF the team understands this, then Your tracking process is also in place.

        3. Software Configuration Management

        If you do not know the configuration items in your project, the issues and changes will take you and your team for a toss...

        Customer must me educated about the Change Management Process. If the customer gives the changes left and right, and if you don't have a process in place for handling the customer changes, your project is gone for a toss.

        This also defines the scope of the project and help you in meeting required schedule with good quality product.
        If this process in place, you are automatically ensuring the Requirements Management process is also followed.

        4. Software Quality assurance:

        The main objective is to ensure that defects are identified at the earliest stage. As everyone know, the Cost of defect fixing increases exponentially as distance between the Stage of Origin and point of identification increases. If the team gets an awareness on this, you can make the reviews, audits and inspections happen.

        Likewise, you can take steps to ensure that other processes are also in place.

        I suggest you to make your team and customer aware of the consequences of not following the process and benefits of the following the process. This would be supplemented with day today examples.

        Allow the people to make mistakes by NOT following the Process and guide them into the safety through Process. this is the best solution. I'm sure that this will work.

        Escalating the issues to the Senior Management and Intervention by the Senior Management also advisable if the team has an ATTITUDE problem

        Rgds,
        Nagaraj
        Message 3 of 17 , May 1, 2003
          I agree, but convincing the customer and some times management that a
          well thought out development and test program is the best bang for
          the buck is sometimes next to impossible.
          Bert

        • pabrachan
          Message 4 of 17 , May 1, 2003
            All ill defined , well implemented processes &
            well defined , ill implemented processes are definitely overheads.
            One problem with most of the quality professionals is the 'the
            problem is out there' attitude. This is well explained in
            Crosby's 'Quality without tears'.

            I dont see any reason in why a well defined and packaged process,
            which is sure to reduce the cycle time is resisted by project teams.

            For me, to write a document, MS-WORD is the process am following. It
            does an automatic review (spell check) for me. No one enforces it on
            me, but I am dependent on it. Process teams should have the vision to
            make processes that much user friendly and beneficial , so that
            project teams will always embrace them voluntarily.

            Iam not making a blanket statement on the entire community. But some
            amount of self introspection will help.

            Good luck

            Abrachan
            www.abrachan.com

          • drm_jagruthi
            Message 5 of 17 , May 5, 2003
              Hi,

              Please conduct a customer satisfaction survey or feedback from the
              discreet set of customers and conclude based on the ratings received
              for various projects being developed for them who have a stake in
              your organization.

              One or few customer(s) can not decide overriding documentation and
              processes which are universally accepted norms for economic software
              engineering activity.

              Regards
            • Chintu N.C
              Message 6 of 17 , May 6, 2003
                Hi!
                After reading the opnioins of Abrachan, Sarika and Pendse,
                I have started to feel that the " The starting Troubles of SPI" are so much similar in all the the types of organizations -not just the software development organizations alone.
                However as pointed by Abrachan, this what the quality professionals will face and have to tackle.!!
                In my organization, ( with 15 people), I am the only " designated" person for proces improvement initiative. Added to that I have no prior experience in this field. However after going through lots of articles I am now able to make some sense of this field. ( I now think so!!!! - do you?)

                I would like to share some of the main obstacles I am presently facing -

                1. My senior management is not having clear idea about the approach towards the SPI initiative. So I don't have even a clearly stated business goal which I feel is a basic necessity to build the process. How can I over come this problem? Can I get some expert advice?
                2. We formed a Process Improvement Team (PIT) to make the process and the deliverables more acceptable among the project groups. However even after 4 months of my effort they still are least interested in SPI. Since they are already assigned other regular projects, they are just not willing to contribute to SPI initiative in any way.I have tried to invlove the senior management a couple of times to make them show interest in SPI .But it has not been successful.
                3. So almost single handedly I am building the proces assets like guidelines, templates etc. But I have a feeling that this will make the process less accptable among the project groups.Because even though I have offered the work products of my SPI initiative for review no one is caring to have look at it leave alone reviewing it!!!!. I will welcome any suggestions and recommendations in this regard.

                Thanx in advance.

                regards,

                Chintu

                pabrachan <pabrachan@...> wrote:

                This is a very common challenge / problem / opportunity all
                organizational change management guys, including process / quality
                professionals face once in a while (frequencies vary). Thats why they
                are paid highly , otherwise why should they be? :-))

                Hi,This is a typical challenge all of us phase on every day,
                irrespective of the maturity of the organization, becuase any day one
                can get a new customer or a new project manager or a team member, who
                need not agree to process benefits. There is no silver bullet to
                solve this situation. It can be solved only through a multi pronged
                strategy.

                Judo Strategy
                ---------------
                The fundamental principle of Judo is 'when the opponent pushes you
                pull and when the opponent pulls you push'. In the given scenario
                agree with the project manager , and consider it as a deviation case,
                bust get answers for the following;

                1) What is the size of the project? How did they arrive at the
                magical number?

                2) How did he/ she arrive at the resource requirements?

                3) How is it ensured that the project will be delivered on time?

                4) What are the perceived risks associated with the project? How will
                they be managed?

                5) How is the project tracked?

                6) How is the work allocation done within the team?

                7) How is the quality of design ensured?

                8) How are u going to manage requirements changes?

                If the PM have satisfactory answers to these , then better look back
                to your own processes and try to make them more valuable. If there
                are no satisfactory answers, highlight it to the next level of
                management in writing.

                Insulate the prodigal sons
                ----------------------------
                After highlighting the issues to all concerened, one strategy can be
                to focus your energies on those who are pro-process, and move ahead.
                At some point in time, the minorities who are against will join the
                mainstream.

                Give the key to the thief
                -------------------------
                Give responsible positions to the main opposers, with managements
                knowledge.

                Recognition
                ------------
                Recognize those who contribute

                The strategies should be selected depending on the culture. For all
                these you need management support. If that is not there, nothing will
                work.

                Thanks
                Ab
                www.abrachan.com

                --- In spi@yahoogroups.com, kums pine <kumsbhai@y...> wrote:
                > A literally practicaly problem : One of the team says that they
                don't want to follow the process and says that they are still
                efficient without following processes. The customer for the
                particular projects says..he does'nt want the time to be wasted on
                documentation, he wants the solution and he rejects the schedule for
                Design and Test Cases. - My persons says that the customer itself is
                not wanting documentation and he does'nt mind of processes. They feel
                that Processes is a overhead for them. I tried convincing them by
                giving advantages of processes etc etc..But they are grip saying
                that  they can produce good results without following the company's
                defined process, without documentation etc.and without Project Plan,
                without Design documents and without any Test Cases they have
                produced the workproduct within the estimated schedule. Please throw
                some light on the above of how to convince these guys. RegardsKums
                How to convince them...any idea...

                > ---------------------------------
                > Yahoo! Plus - For a better Internet experience

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • dipankar chakravarty
                Message 7 of 17 , May 8, 2003
                  Hi Chintu,

                  I think the best way to overcome this problem is to
                  involve all your 15 people in the process improvement.
                  You can create a flat hierarchy or sub-groups, one for
                  each process in the process group, deligating
                  responsibilities to people.
                  Involvement is the best way of particpation. However
                  dont let it look as though you have burdened them, but
                  make them the process owners.
                  And let me know how it works.
                  And about the Business Goal, if you cant aford a
                  consultant, you can do some research wor on it, get
                  help from google.
                  Try giving - "business goal" for software process
                  improvement- in search and see the results.
                  Chart our what your company's short term and long term
                  businss goals are and how they interelate with the s/w
                  improvement process and then forlulate your SPI
                  business goal.
                  If you can involve your people into this there would
                  be nothing more to motivate them.

                  All the best.

                  Dipankar.

                  http://search.yahoo.com
                • Chintu N.C
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 13, 2003
                    Hi Dipankar,
                    Thank you very much for helping me with suggestions.I feel it is utmost important to formulate both long term and short term business goals and propogate them across the organization, so that evry one is aware of these goals common to the entire organization.
                    I working on it now.I think only after that , it is worth while to form the working groups.
                    What do you feel?

                    With rgds,
                    chintu