Re: [speedwaybikes] Re: questionaire

  • Donavon Dorsey
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 1, 2002
      The initial funding comes from private investors and eventually from corporate sponsors.  The season will be from April through October.  That does rule out an indoor winter season.  Whether or not it runs AMA or not will partially depend on whether or not the AMA survives its current disagreement with Clear Channel Sports over who will get to run Supercross.  For details on that I refer you to Cycle News last week.

      George (Star Wars) Lucas says something like, If you can imagine it, you can do it.  Well I imagine I can do this.  Someone on here the other day said it would take 5 to 7 million dollars to this.  Actually I suspect the number is somewhere around 20 million+.  That may seem to be a lot of money to a sport that whines about having to pay $4500 for a full up race bike but in the grand scheme of things, it is a pittance.

      Consider that Bruce and Arnie are paid $20 million for each movie they make, and they make 3 each a year.  A-Rod gets $25 million a year to play baseball.  Qwest and Verizon each spend over three million a day on advertising to get you to change long distance carriers.  Super Bowl ads are $2 million for 30 seconds.  Michael Jordan gets something like $800 million a year and Rush Limbaugh rakes in around $35 million.  The presenters at the Oscar's, Emmy's, Golden Globes et. al. get a little gift package worth around $20,000 to $30,000 EACH.  When you watch the awards, count the presenters and do the math.  The county is awash in money and all we have to do is be smart enough to get a little portion.  I AM THAT SMART.

      I have tried to involve the speedway establishment (is that an oxy-moron) to no avail, so we will just go off in a new direction, with a new program.  Those of you who remember 1964, think back to how many brands of motocross bikes were on the market.  That is the year that I promoted what was likely the first motocross race ever held in the US.  I may not live another 37 years but now we have a pattern.

      DDD
      From: "Donavon Dorsey" <darques@...>
      To: <speedwaybikes@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:29:09 -0800
      From sentto-73626-8531-1012454956-jawathan Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:30:01 -0800

      Actually Joe I expect very few of what we think of today as "Division 1"
      riders will be interested in this.  They are generally older with families
      and careers or businesses.  I doubt many of them will want leave that to go
      barnstorming around the country.  A few of them may end up as coaches,
      trainers, managers, etc.  Some may even end up as team owners if they have
      the finances and some will wind up in the broadcast booth.  We will need
      someone who can comment as intelligently as the Lawn Mower race guys and the
      WWF.  The day I can take this program public and make a billion dollars
      (that's billion - with a B) in one day like Vince McMahon did with the WWF,
      I may think about retiring.

      The riders that do this are largely going to be in their late teens and
      early twenties.  A lot of them will probably come from places like Poland,
      Slovenia and Scandinavia  Some will have never ridden a speedway bike
      before, coming out of motocross and dirt track backgrounds in the US.

      You have to remember that this would be your job.  I could teach Stevie
      Wonder to ride a speedway bike in an afternoon, but it would take a long
      time to get him to go really fast.  This will be just like other sports.
      Work out in the morning, practice in the afternoon, watch film in the
      evening.  EVERY DAY but race day and the day after.

      If it turns out to be a barnstorming show then it is; practice in the
      afternoon, race in the evening, drive all night, sleep in the morning,
      practice in the afternoon, race in the evening, repeat as necessary.

      You will get good and you will be fast or you will be unemployed.  That will
      be the incentive.  There is no shortage of people who would like to be paid
      a good wage to have fun.  Thanks for asking.  Next question?

      DDD

      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 6, 2002
        ok it.s not a secret, just information and i would
        more than one guy, if i give $100,000.00 US, how many
        dollars do you expect to pay for sign in or
        inscription
        500.00, 1000.00 or 1500.00
        ga�tan # 51

        http://greetings.yahoo.com