Hancock and Janirro to race Gumball Rally!

  • Billy Hamill
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2011
      2010 undisputed US National Champion, Billy Janniro, and 1997 World Champion and 8x National Champ, Greg Hancock, have signed up to race in the 2011 Gumball Rally on March 5 at Inland Motorcycle Speedway in San Bernardino, CA. With over 80 racers signed up for the two days of racing, the duo will be a great opening act to the Headline American Junior Speedway field who will race the following day on March 6.

      Hancock and Janirro, who are both products of American Junior Speedway, will be there to show their skills to the future stars of American Speedway. Janniro, who has ridden in the previous two Gumball Rally events in 2008 and 2009, has shown what a spectacular racer he is with his all action style. Hancock, being an OG Gumballer, has not participated in the Gumball Rally since 1985. Hancock will also be the sole American competing in the 2011 world Championship Grand Prix.

      Promoter Billy Hamill is stoked to have been able to include Janniro and Hancock to the lineup."It's gonna be a great show with these two guys leading a field of 25 First Division riders. I'm really happy that the kids will be able to watch and learn from riders of their caliber, not to mention what the crowd is in for. We have quite a few youngsters, such as Jason Ramirez and Austin Novratil, in our field that will be looking to make a name for themselves, as well. Don't forget the main event is the Jr. Speedway field that will be racing on Sunday, though. These guys are just the opener! I'm also looking forward to running a Handicap and Scratch program into the mix."
      As an event, the Gumball Rally is rich in tradition. The first one was in the early `80's at Ken Maely's ranch because Jr. parents wanted more track time for their kids. In those days, Jr.'s were a side show and would only get 2 races a night – that is IF you transferred to the Main. In the late `90's Ken Maely and Billy Hamill resurrected the event with the help of Steve and Trish Wells, who were Jr. parents at the time. The event has now turned into a celebration of American Speedway with a full weekend of training schools for young and old, riding, camping, and, of course, two great race events.

      A full rider lineup will be posted shortly.