Jason Crump discussion

  • Gary Roberts
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
      Please can we cease this discussion.
      Jason Crump took time out of his busy schedule to come to America after years of work by Dave Joiner, working on making it happen. He put on a great show. I hope Dave is able to persuade him to come back again in the future. Appearances by World Champions at our tracks gives our sport positive visibility.
      Its probable that Jason Crump has access to email and possible he reads this distribution. It is certain that others around the world do and just as certain that the jist of this discussion will get reported back to Jason.
      Please lets have no more negativity. I, for one, would like to see Jason race again in the USA.

      Thanks, Gary Roberts - groberts@...
    • Hugh Randolph
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
        Gary Roberts wrote:

        > Please can we cease this discussion.
        > Jason Crump took time out of his busy schedule to come to America
        > after years of work by Dave Joiner, working on making it happen. He
        > put on a great show. I hope Dave is able to persuade him to come back
        > again in the future. Appearances by World Champions at our tracks
        > gives our sport positive visibility.
        > Its probable that Jason Crump has access to email and possible he
        > reads this distribution. It is certain that others around the world do
        > and just as certain that the jist of this discussion will get
        > reported back to Jason.
        > Please lets have no more negativity. I, for one, would like to see
        > Jason race again in the USA.
        >
        > Thanks, Gary Roberts - groberts@... <mailto:groberts@...>

        THANK YOU GARY,
        For putting in print what a lot of folks think.
        Hugh

      • mark williams

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
            Back in the 1960s I was very involved with the bringing of MotoCross to the USA.  We did that with events similar to USA vs The World.  The difference being that the distributors of Husqvarna, Maico and Jawa (and later Suzuki, Yamaha et.al.) brought over their entire factory teams and not just for an evening but for an entire series of races all over the US over 2 months.  Not just the runners up but Worlds Champions like Thorsten Hallman, Roger Decoster, Joel Robert, Hekki Mikola, Ake Jonson and a ton of lesser lights like Dave Bickers on Greeves, Jerzy Stoldolka, Hokken Anderson and on and on.

            It seems that speedway just doesn't travel well.  Or at least not speedway riders.  Where were Ricko and Nikki and Gollob and Hamil and Hancock and Janniro?  If we are going to have USA vs the World shouldn't we have the best?

            If Mr. Crump has such thin skin maybe it would be best if he just tossed another shrimp on the barbie and busted open a Fosters and stayed in Europe.

            DDD
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
              "Back in the 1960s"? Comic books cost a dime. You could get in to
              Ascot for a buck & riders were not making the dollars they are
              today. Time change. The world moves on. DDD did you take the time to
              attend USA vs. The World? If you did then you saw a great night of
              action. Let me put you up to date. Rickko drives a Ferrari. Nikki &
              Gollob are darlings of their respective nations. All are reported to
              make some thing in the 7 figure range yearly. We were very fortunate
              to have last year's World Individual Speedway World Champion here in
              America. Crump's appearance at Fast Fridays was a testament to the
              promoter & Crump's willingness to bring World Championship caliber
              speedway to America. Crump had nothing to gain from riding here &
              everything to loose yet he came. What if he suffered an injury while
              riding here? Crump should be applauded for riding at USA vs. The
              World. As for not traveling well. Crump races in the British Elite
              League, the Swedish Elite Legue & the Polish Elite League +
              additional individual meetings. His entire summer is spent on
              aircraft flying from one race to another. He rides in something like
              4 meetings a week from March through September. The motorcross guys
              in the 1960's didn't have a schedule like that. If Crump raced one
              meeting a week (or less) like the motorcross guys did maybe you
              would have a valid point but you don't. As for your tired "shrimp on
              the barbie" jab, nice try but that shtick is even older than
              your "motocross in the 1960's" reference. Tell you what why don't
              you go back & watch your beloved motorcross(a "sport" dominated by
              manufactures trying to sell products) because you obviously don't
              get speedway.
              P.S.
              I don't recall Carmichael attempting to become Motorcross World
              Champ or even riding in Europe.

              --- In speedwaybikes@yahoogroups.com, "Donavon D. Dorsey"
              <fast_racing@d...> wrote:

              > Back in the 1960s I was very involved with the bringing of
              MotoCross to the USA. We did that with events similar to USA vs The
              World. The difference being that the distributors of Husqvarna,
              Maico and Jawa (and later Suzuki, Yamaha et.al.) brought over their
              entire factory teams and not just for an evening but for an entire
              series of races all over the US over 2 months. Not just the runners
              up but Worlds Champions like Thorsten Hallman, Roger Decoster, Joel
              Robert, Hekki Mikola, Ake Jonson and a ton of lesser lights like
              Dave Bickers on Greeves, Jerzy Stoldolka, Hokken Anderson and on and
              on.

              > It seems that speedway just doesn't travel well. Or at least not
              speedway riders. Where were Ricko and Nikki and Gollob and Hamil
              and Hancock and Janniro? If we are going to have USA vs the World
              shouldn't we have the best?

              > If Mr. Crump has such thin skin maybe it would be best if he just
              tossed another shrimp on the barbie and busted open a Fosters and
              stayed in Europe.

              > DDD

            • Donavon D. Dorsey
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                Well, you communist hillbilly let me set you straight about a thing or two.  One. I was probably riding speedway when you mother was still in diapers.

                Two. Ricky Carmichael was in Europe this fall . . . .and won.

                Three. Maybe speedway should get a clue about trying to sell products.

                Four.  Speedway IS a product . . .  it just isn't marketed very well.

                Five.  I was at Auburn Friday night and saw the races.  I drove 715 miles each way to be there and that was the third time I was there this year.  Were you there and how big a trip did you make??

                Six.  in 1969 I was racing speedway in So Cal.  I was working for $4.30 an hour and the most I ever made at a speedway race was $19.00.

                In 1969 Thorsten Hallman, Roger DeCoster and Joel Robert were all bigger stars than any speedway rider (outside of Poland) is today.  Moto Cross in Europe at that time drew crowds of 60,000 + and the riders were national heros.

                Pay attention when I speak, you may not always be a redneck

                DDD

                <fast_racing@d...> wrote:

                > Back in the 1960s I was very involved with the bringing of
                MotoCross to the USA.  We did that with events similar to USA vs The
                World.  The difference being that the distributors of Husqvarna,
                Maico and Jawa (and later Suzuki, Yamaha et.al.) brought over their
                entire factory teams and not just for an evening but for an entire
                series of races all over the US over 2 months.  Not just the runners
                up but Worlds Champions like Thorsten Hallman, Roger Decoster, Joel
                Robert, Hekki Mikola, Ake Jonson and a ton of lesser lights like
                Dave Bickers on Greeves, Jerzy Stoldolka, Hokken Anderson and on and
                on.

                > It seems that speedway just doesn't travel well.  Or at least not
                speedway riders.  Where were Ricko and Nikki and Gollob and Hamil
                and Hancock and Janniro?  If we are going to have USA vs the World
                shouldn't we have the best?

                > If Mr. Crump has such thin skin maybe it would be best if he just
                tossed another shrimp on the barbie and busted open a Fosters and
                stayed in Europe.

                > DDD

              • bob_higginson
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 2, 2005
                  fast_racing@d...> wrote:
                  ".....the most I ever made at a speedway race was $19.00."

                  Adjusted for inflation, I think this is still the current purse.

                  ( hee-hee)

                  Yes, the silly season is officially here.
                • LiberalRedneck
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 2, 2005
                    "Communist hillbilly"? In my last message I never attacked you
                    personally so why are you calling me names. Once again your "old
                    school" put downs show how out of touch you are with the modern
                    world. The "communist" put down expired with the down fall of the
                    Soviet Union over a decade ago. As for "hillbilly" how could anyone
                    possibly suspect me of being a "hillbilly" from my last message
                    except my screen name. But anyway lets move on, shall we? Point#1 If
                    you were racing speedway when my mother was in diapers then you must
                    have raced with the Milne Brothers, Wilbur Lamoreaux, & Sprouts
                    Elder. You must be pushing 90 by now? Point#2 I digress, Ricky C.
                    did race in Europe this year at the Motocross Des Nations thanks
                    heavily to Suzuki(an attempt to gain a larger market share in
                    Europe?).Point#3 & #4 I do agree with you on these 2 points.
                    Speedway does need to do a better job of marketing itself. Speedway
                    is the product. Not the machinery. The racing is the product not the
                    bikes. Point#5 You bet I was at USA vs. The World. I didn't have as
                    far a drive but I suppose making both trips down south for Round#2
                    of the AMA nationals & the SRA nationals kind of balances everything
                    out, Right?. Final point#6. What does this have to do with our
                    discussion? Congrats on you $19.00 back in `69. Anyone as thin
                    skinned as you should take some advice from yourself & "toss another
                    shrimp on the barbie, bust open another Fosrters" & stayed off the
                    internet. Especially with some like yourself who rode when my mother
                    was in diapers with your aged disposition you may have a heart
                    attack or stroke after getting worked up to a point at which you
                    call others names. Relax man, Speedway starts again in April. Till
                    then it's the West Coast League+Under 21 & practice at Perris. As
                    for the motocross getting 60,000 fans in 1969, it was eclipsed by
                    speedway (whembly was getting 90,00 people at the Finals & Eastern
                    Bloc countries were attracting 100,00 spectators.). Promoters just
                    didn't do enough promoting. While the mx manufactures where able to
                    sell products due to the interest in the sport. More intrest
                    generated more sales leading to more money put back into mx to
                    further the advertising/sales of the mx bikes. What makes motorcross
                    so appealing to middle america is that any "soccer mom or dad" can
                    go out a buy a bike for little Johnny. The can put a number on it &
                    they can go out to the woods or desert & ride around & pretend to
                    be "racers". With speedway its not that simple. As for "listening to
                    when you speak & I may learn something" I already have. I learned
                    that you are full of s#*t.

                    <fast_racing@d...> wrote:

                    > Well, you communist hillbilly let me set you straight about a
                    thing or two. One. I was probably riding speedway when you mother
                    was still in diapers.

                    > Two. Ricky Carmichael was in Europe this fall . . . .and won.
                    >
                    > Three. Maybe speedway should get a clue about trying to sell
                    products.

                    > Four. Speedway IS a product . . . it just isn't marketed very
                    well.

                    > Five. I was at Auburn Friday night and saw the races. I drove
                    715 miles each way to be there and that was the third time I was
                    there this year. Were you there and how big a trip did you make??

                    > Six. in 1969 I was racing speedway in So Cal. I was working for
                    $4.30 an hour and the most I ever made at a speedway race was $19.00.

                    > In 1969 Thorsten Hallman, Roger DeCoster and Joel Robert were all
                    bigger stars than any speedway rider (outside of Poland) is today.
                    Moto Cross in Europe at that time drew crowds of 60,000 + and the
                    riders were national heros.

                    > Pay attention when I speak, you may not always be a redneck
                    >
                    > DDD

                    Terms
                    > of Service.

                    ----
                    > -----------

                    tire Motorcycle racing
                    > Motorcycle racing part

                    of Service.

                    -----------

                  • Donavon D. Dorsey
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 2, 2005

                      Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 1:33 PM

                      The weather is cold and damp out and I am bored so I guess I'll annoy the speedway geeks.

                      "Communist hillbilly"?

                      Liberal Redneck/Communist Hillbilly, a mere play on words but it may be to subtle for you.

                      In my last message I never attacked you personally so why are you calling me names.

                      I didn't call you names, that is your description of yourself.

                      Once again your "old school" put downs show how out of touch you are with the modern world. The "communist" put down expired with the down fall of the Soviet Union over a decade ago. As for "hillbilly" how could anyone possibly suspect me of being a "hillbilly" from my last message except my screen name. But anyway lets move on, shall we?

                      Maybe we should discuss how "out of touch" you are. The Soviet Union was a Socialist state, not a Communist one.  (Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, USSR, maybe you have heard the term.) I describe myself as a communist (small c). It is an economic system that favors the workers over the "bosses" kind of a liberal philosophy.  Which is pretty big of me when you consider I own my own company.  Let's see now, maybe that part about your screen name had something to do with the "hillbilly" moniker.  And may I remind you that is what you call yourself.  By the way, on this list we all use our own names to avoid confusion.

                      Point#1 If you were racing speedway when my mother was in diapers then you must have raced with the Milne Brothers, Wilbur Lamoreaux, & Sprouts Elder. You must be pushing 90 by now?

                      I didn't actually race with the Milne Bros. But, I knew Jack very well and learned a lot about speedway from him.  You should be lucky enough to have such a mentor.  I'll only take half a point on that, your momma is older than I thought.

                      Point#2 I digress, Ricky C. did race in Europe this year at the Motocross Des Nations thanks heavily to Suzuki(an attempt to gain a larger market share in Europe?).

                      That's one for me

                      Point#3 & #4 I do agree with you on these 2 points. Speedway does need to do a better job of marketing itself. Speedway is the product. Not the machinery. The racing is the product not the bikes.

                      There's two more for me.

                      Point#5 You bet I was at USA vs. The World. I didn't have as far a drive but I suppose making both trips down south for Round#2 of the AMA nationals & the SRA nationals kind of balances everything out, Right?.

                      I could give you a tie on this one but then we would have to see if that counted as much as my coming to the Nationals last year after two major surgeries and nearly dying a mere two months before.  Or trips to Europe for a GP, spending a month traveling with a Polish speedway team, going to England for Brighton, Travelling to the East Coast for 3 races, going to Sweden to the World Under 21 Finals.  I've been doing this since 1959 so you probably have a lot of catching up to do.  Then again I can afford to be generous and call it a tie.

                      Final point#6. What does this have to do with our discussion? Congrats on you $19.00 back in `69. Anyone as thin skinned as you should take some advice from yourself & "toss another shrimp on the barbie, bust open another Fosrters" & stayed off the internet.

                      I actually prefer dark beer, but if you're buying, Fosters will do.  That's the nice thing about the internet,  you don't get to chose who plays.

                      Especially with some like yourself who rode when my mother was in diapers with your aged disposition you may have a heart attack or stroke after getting worked up to a point at which you call others names.

                      I have had a valve replaced in my heart (twice) but my arteries and all that are in great shape, for an old fat man, so don't concern yourself unduly.  And again, I didn't pick out your nom de plume.  (That means screen name if you are from Rio Linda.)

                      Relax man, Speedway starts again in April. Till then it's the West Coast League+Under 21 & practice at Perris. As for the motocross getting 60,000 fans in  1969, it was  eclipsed by speedway (whembly was getting 90,00 people at the Finals & Eastern Bloc countries were attracting 100,00 spectators.).

                      The "Superbowl of MotoCross" at the L. A. Coliseum (which became "SuperCross") drew 35,000 in 1972, 38,808 in 1973 and 47,000 in 1974.  In 1974, promoter Mike Goodwin paid Roger DeCoster, World 500cc Champion $5000 start money.  That is loosely equivalent to $50,000, corrected to 2005 dollars.  Do you suppose Joiner paid that to "Crumpy?"  In fact I'll bet for $50,000 we could get Gollob, Pederson, and Rickardsson, along with Crump.

                      I would wager large sums of money that SuperCross alone out grossed and out drew all of the speedway events in the world, including the GPs. And the reason goes back to those barnstorming motocrossers in the late 1960s and the efforts of Husqvarna, Chay-Zed, Maico and all the rest.  I get all of these points.

                      Promoters just didn't do enough promoting.

                      God, you took the words right out of my mouth!!!

                      While the mx manufactures where able to sell products due to the interest in the sport.

                      God, you took the words right out of my mouth!!!

                      More intrest generated more sales leading to more money put back into mx to further the advertising/sales of the mx bikes.

                      God, you took the words right out of my mouth!!!

                      What makes motorcross so appealing to middle america is that any "soccer mom or dad" can go out a buy a bike for little Johnny. The can put a number on it & they can go out to the woods or desert & ride around & pretend to be "racers". With speedway its not that simple.

                      If it was simple, anyone could do it.  As it is we have to depend on nut cases like me who just won't accept the status quo!!

                      As for "listening to when you speak & I may learn something" I already have.

                      See, I told you so!!

                      I learned that you are full of s#*t.

                      And just when I was starting to think you liked me.

                      Love

                      DDD

                    • LiberalRedneck
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 2, 2005
                        I do like ya DDD. I did 8 meetings in 3 countries this Summer in 11
                        days. You can the last word. Let's move on. Alright?

                        <fast_racing@d...> wrote:

> [...]
                      • pgb3131
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 4, 2005
                          Actually maybe we should talk about how out of touch or just
                          ignorant you are. Before you give us history lessons please know
                          what it is you are talking about.

                          The "Socialist" term used in the USSR acronym does not depict
                          statehood. It is a description of an economic philosophy.
                          Communism is the use of force by the government under state law to
                          implement and practice socialist policies only. In this case, the
                          USSR certainley qualifies as a communist state. Not only do they
                          qualify, but I sugget they were the biggest, most powerful,
                          viscious, evil(you probably don't like that word) communists to ever
                          walk the earth. About 50,000,000 dead. You need other examples
                          current and previous? How about China, North Korea, Cuba,
                          Venezuela, Cambodia (Khmer Rouge)and North Viet Nam of the 60's and
                          70's, and 3/4 of Sub Saharan Africa. These are all communist states
                          that exist or have existed. For you to associate yourself with the
                          likes of these societies is rather sickening but I know you would
                          not purposley do so if you knew better. The last statement is in
                          regards to your small "c" status. There is no small "c". You are
                          either communist or not. You cant be a communist and disagree with
                          the party communists. Its one in the same. Do you even know what
                          the upper and lower cases represent? For example, I am a registered
                          Independent but I usually vote Republican. This makes me a
                          small "r". If I were a registered Republican I would be part of the
                          big "R". Make sense? How do you become a big "C"? Do you actually
                          get to vote for your communist dictators? See you are not a
                          communist, you are a socalist at worst and a misguided liberal,
                          oops, i mean progressive at best. You just dont know how to express
                          it. I'll tell you how. Give everyone that works for you the same
                          amout of money regardless of their job. Tell them they will always
                          make the same amount no matter what, no promotions ever, and that
                          you will also pay for all of their other bills weather or not they
                          decide to keep working or not. After about a month of that you
                          should be ready to return to capatilism and free market. See, only
                          a privliged, useful idiot (to quote your boy Lenin) from a free
                          society would say that he prefers communism while living in freedom
                          making your own money, by your own means, on your own terms, living
                          on your own property. Dont you see the obvious contradiction? How
                          do you live in such cognitive dissonance? Im gonna give you the
                          benefit here because I dont know you. Now come on, you cant be
                          serious??

                          Phil

                          <fast_racing@d...> wrote:

> [...]
                        • Donavon D. Dorsey
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 5, 2005
                            Since people get upset when I dare to bring a motocross analogy onto this list, I am sure they will  get really cross if we try to discuss politics.   Save that for your daily classes down at the Limbaugh Institute of Facishism.

                            DDD