Re: [speedwaybikes] One last time (for 2004)

  • TMGracing@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2004
      In a message dated 12/31/04 8:17:40 PM Pacific Standard Time, fast_racing@... writes:

      Scott Rousseau from Cycle News rode speedway and is very dirt track oriented.  I am sure all of these things could happen if someone there contacted him.

          Well I sent Scott a few e-mails about CA Speedway and what was happening with our Dream Team prodject and it got nowhere.

                                                  GaryG
             Looking forward to 2005 and some great racing.
    • kyle rosenberger
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2005
        i'm not broke!!! i ride a jawa 894 on purpose!

        --- In speedwaybikes@yahoogroups.com, "Donavon D. Dorsey"
        <fast_racing@d...> wrote:
        > Greetings from the "frozen north."
        >
        > I know you speedway types are too broke to spend $45.00 a year to
        subscribe to Cycle News but there was some interesting stuff in the
        2004 year end issue I thought I should share with you. It is not
        exactly and prescisely about speedway but bear with me.

        > For its year end issue Cycle News interviewed the following, in
        this order.

        > Valentino Rossi, World Champion 500 cc Moto-GP
        > Rodney Smith, AMA Grand National Cross Country Champion
        > Jeff Ward, AMA Supermoto Champion
        > Destry Abbott, AMA National Hare and Hound Champion
        > Randy Hawkins, AMA National Enduro Champion
        > James Tosland, World Superbike Champion
        > Mat Mladin, AMA Superbike Champion
        > Stefan Everts, Motocross World Champion
        > Chad Reed, AMA Supercross Champion
        > Jason Raines, AMA National Hare Scrambles Champion
        > Takahisa Fuginami, Trials World Champion
        > Nathan Woods, WORCS Champion (World Off Road Championship Series)
        >
        > But not a word about speedway. I would wager Dave Joiner and/or
        Brad Oxley draw more paying spectators to any weekly event than
        attended any WORCS or Hare Scrambles or Hare and Hound event this
        year. But not a word about speedway.

        > You know what we need? A press agent! Someone to attend to
        things like this. I nominate Bobby Swartz. In his interview with
        Speedway Star, Jason suggested him for AMA speedway czar but the
        good Burghers of Westerville will want an insider. I submit that
        Bobby can do way more good for speedway from sunny shores of SoCal
        than he can ever do in Ohio.

        > Where are our profiles for the "Local Talent" segment in Cycle
        News. What about Mikey Buman, Chip Lengle, Sean Harmatiuk, Krystal
        Cramer, and others.

        > Why isn't some tricked out speedway bike featured in "Bikes of the
        Stars?" Two or three times a year?

        > Scott Rousseau from Cycle News rode speedway and is very dirt
        track oriented. I am sure all of these things could happen if
        someone there contacted him.

        > I would be more than willing to do that but it is a long ways from
        Benton City, Washington to SoCal to try and establish a
        relationship. Drop by, buy Scott lunch, talk speedway.

        > I know how broke speedway people are so I will pay for lunch, just
        send me the reciept and show me some results.

        > Well it's New Years Eve and I still have a half a bottle of
        Belvedere Polish Vodka so I must stop for now.

        > There's always next year.
        >
        > Happy New Year.
        >
        > DDD
      • Kim Smith
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2005

          Donovan,

          I sent you a picture of the JAP offlist yesterday, let me know if you got it.

          Jason

          >From: "Donavon D. Dorsey" <fast_racing@...> >Reply-To: speedwaybikes@yahoogroups.com >To: speedwaybikes@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [speedwaybikes] One last time (for 2004) >Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:15:35 -0800 > >Greetings from the "frozen north." > >I know you speedway types are too broke to spend $45.00 a year to subscribe to Cycle News but there was some interesting stuff in the 2004 year end issue I thought I should share with you. It is not exactly and prescisely about speedway but bear with me. > >For its year end issue Cycle News interviewed the following, in this order. > >Valentino Rossi, World Champion 500 cc Moto-GP >Rodney Smith, AMA Grand National Cross Country Champion >Jeff Ward, AMA Supermoto Champion >Destry Abbott, AMA National Hare and Hound Champion >Randy Hawkins, AMA National Enduro
          Champion >James Tosland, World Superbike Champion >Mat Mladin, AMA Superbike Champion >Stefan Everts, Motocross World Champion >Chad Reed, AMA Supercross Champion >Jason Raines, AMA National Hare Scrambles Champion >Takahisa Fuginami, Trials World Champion >Nathan Woods, WORCS Champion (World Off Road Championship Series) > >But not a word about speedway. I would wager Dave Joiner and/or Brad Oxley draw more paying spectators to any weekly event than attended any WORCS or Hare Scrambles or Hare and Hound event this year. But not a word about speedway. > >You know what we need? A press agent! Someone to attend to things like this. I nominate Bobby Swartz. In his interview with Speedway Star, Jason suggested him for AMA speedway czar but the good Burghers of Westerville will want an insider. I submit that Bobby can do way more good for speedway from sunny shores of SoCal than he can ever do in Ohio. > >Where are our profiles for the "Local Talent" segment in Cycle News. What about Mikey Buman, Chip Lengle, Sean Harmatiuk, Krystal Cramer, and others. > >Why isn't some tricked out speedway bike featured in "Bikes of the Stars?" Two or three times a year? > >Scott Rousseau from Cycle News rode speedway and is very dirt track oriented. I am sure all of these things could happen if someone there contacted him. > >I would be more than willing to do that but it is a long ways from Benton City, Washington to SoCal to try and establish a relationship. Drop by, buy Scott lunch, talk speedway. > >I know how broke speedway people are so I will pay for lunch, just send me the reciept and show me some results. > >Well it's New Years Eve and I still have a half a bottle of Belvedere Polish Vodka so I must stop for now. > >There's always next year. > >Happy New Year. > >DDD
        • Donavon D. Dorsey
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2005
            I did Jason.  It is a nice looking bike.  I will get back to you off the list

            DDD

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 1, 2005
              PERSIST!!  Go take him out to lunch.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

              DDD

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 1, 2005
                I was in shock that there was nothing on Speedway and not even anything on Dirt Track. All the riders they did interview are great riders but I fill we should have equal time.

                                                                                    Greg H.
              • Tom Hamilton
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 2, 2005
                  <fast_racing@d...> wrote:
                  > Greetings from the "frozen north."
                  >
                  > I know you speedway types are too broke to spend $45.00 a year to
                  subscribe to Cycle News"""

                  Donavan,

                  Such Genaralizional about speedway types, No wonder were doomed. I
                  have subscribed to Cycle News for over 18yrs so this speedway type i
                  guess was not too broke. Why dont you try saying something positive
                  about speedway types and speedway in general for a change and maybe
                  someonw wont think "ALL SPEEDWAY TYPES" are just a bunch of negative
                  wanabies. THINK POSITIVE NOT NEGATIVE. Youll get much better mileage
                  out of it in general as well as life.

                  Just my 2 cents...

                  Tom "GUMBY" Hamilton
                • Tom Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 3, 2005
                    Donavan,
                    I apoligize for my comments made in haste. I know you are trying to
                    better the sport of speedway. I just got caught up in the negative
                    statements. No harm intended. And yes i too would love to see much
                    more coverage of Speedway in media coverage in the U.S. I have
                    posted several times on the speed website about speedway coverage
                    and i am very glad they show us the GP series. It was also very nice
                    to see the show that was put on this past year on the cable networks
                    from New York, Winchester, Costa Mesa and The Grand as well as
                    Auburn and i believe Indy. Sorry if i forgot anyone.

                    Heres hoping the New Year brings Speedway in the U.S.A. and Canada
                    more coverage in the media.

                    Tom Hamilton
                    www.144racing.com

                    --- In speedwaybikes@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hamilton"
                    <sargentfabracing@s...> wrote:

                    > """--- In speedwaybikes@yahoogroups.com, "Donavon D. Dorsey"
                    > <fast_racing@d...> wrote:
                    > > Greetings from the "frozen north."
                    > >
                    > > I know you speedway types are too broke to spend $45.00 a year
                    > subscribe to Cycle News"""
                    >
                    > Donavan,
                    >
                    > Such Genaralizional about speedway types, No wonder were doomed. I
                    > have subscribed to Cycle News for over 18yrs so this speedway type
                    > guess was not too broke. Why dont you try saying something
                    positive
                    > about speedway types and speedway in general for a change and
                    maybe
                    > someonw wont think "ALL SPEEDWAY TYPES" are just a bunch of
                    negative
                    > wanabies. THINK POSITIVE NOT NEGATIVE. Youll get much better
                    mileage
                    > out of it in general as well as life.
                    >
                    > Just my 2 cents...
                    >
                    > Tom "GUMBY" Hamilton
                  • Donavon D. Dorsey
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 3, 2005
                      Thanks for that Gumby.  You saved me having to write a response which would no doubt have set off some the others on this list.

                      Sometimes I worry that all those alcohol fumes are screwing up peoples sense of humor.

                      Seriously, I kid around a lot and people who whine about the cost of racing speedway annoy me.  A serious off-road bicycle costs more than a new Jawa.

                      Maybe a letter writing campaign to Cycle News would do some good.  I send them e-mails every once in a while thanking them for their coverage of the GPs, and more recently, the Nationals.

                      As I said in the original posting, why not Krystal Cramer or Ricky Wells or some such in the "Local Talent" section.  I suspect that it roughly as difficult as making up a bio and sending it to them along with a head shot.

                      Or how about Greg Hancock's GP bike or Bart Bast's bike or Billy Janniro's bike or whatever in the "Bikes of the Stars" feature.

                      Like I said we need a press agent

                      DDD

                    • Fstcpr@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 3, 2005
                        In a message dated 1/3/2005 2:11:14 PM Pacific Standard Time, fast_racing@... writes:
                        Seriously, I kid around a lot and people who whine about the cost of racing speedway annoy me.  A serious off-road bicycle costs more than a new Jawa.

                        There are several types of off-road bicycles: A light weight cross country bicycle can exceed $4,000.00 in price and be a production bike (store bought). Custom made units add to the price tag. Downhill models exceed $5,000.00 for the high end bike. Downhill bikes have the suspension very similar to that of a motocross bike. A good downhill bike costs as much as a new CR125 Honda but doesn't have a motor.

                        seu,

                        DeWayne Stark
                      • Kim Smith
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 3, 2005

                          In defense of Scott Rousseau, he usually does bend over backwards to get Speedway in Cycle News. Two of his stories near the back of the Magazine featured Speedway stuff this past year and he has done a lot of that stuff for Speedway in the past including flying out to NY to cover the US Open in person in 1998. Josh Larsens 180 bike was featured in 2002. Scott is also good about putting stuff in the in the wind section when I send it to him. I don't know what the heck happened a couple weeks ago though with the interviews of all the Champions. Seems they pulled an "AMA" and forgot Speedway. I was as bummed as you Donovan!! Let's all try to write them a line to make sure this doesn't happen again. I know that Brian Burford has been trying to get Cycle News to carry the interview with me that appears in this weeks Speedway Star, lets hope that happens and gets Speedway some coverage.

                          Jason

                          >From: "Donavon D. Dorsey" <fast_racing@...> >Reply-To: speedwaybikes@yahoogroups.com >To: speedwaybikes@yahoogroups.com >Subject: Re: [speedwaybikes] Re: Apology, One last time (for 2004) >Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 14:06:53 -0800 > >Thanks for that Gumby. You saved me having to write a response which would no doubt have set off some the others on this list. > >Sometimes I worry that all those alcohol fumes are screwing up peoples sense of humor. > >Seriously, I kid around a lot and people who whine about the cost of racing speedway annoy me. A serious off-road bicycle costs more than a new Jawa. > >Maybe a letter writing campaign to Cycle News would do some good. I send them e-mails every once in a while thanking them for their coverage of the GPs, and more recently, the Nationals. > >As I said in the original posting,
                          why not Krystal Cramer or Ricky Wells or some such in the "Local Talent" section. I suspect that it roughly as difficult as making up a bio and sending it to them along with a head shot. > >Or how about Greg Hancock's GP bike or Bart Bast's bike or Billy Janniro's bike or whatever in the "Bikes of the Stars" feature. > >Like I said we need a press agent > >DDD > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Tom Hamilton > To: speedwaybikes@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 11:34 AM > Subject: [speedwaybikes] Re: Apology, One last time (for 2004) > > > > Donavan, > I apoligize for my comments made in haste. I know you are trying to > better the sport of speedway. I just got caught up in the negative > statements. No harm intended. And yes i too would love to see much > more coverage of Speedway in media coverage in the U.S. I have > posted several times on the speed website about speedway coverage > and i am very glad they show us the GP series. It was also very nice > to see the show that was put on this past year on the cable networks > from New York, Winchester, Costa Mesa and The Grand as well as > Auburn and i believe Indy. Sorry if i forgot anyone. > > Heres hoping the New Year brings Speedway in the U.S.A. and Canada > more coverage in the media. > > Tom Hamilton > www.144racing.com > > --- In speedwaybikes@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hamilton" > <sargentfabracing@s...> wrote: > > > > """--- In speedwaybikes@yahoogroups.com, "Donavon D. Dorsey" > > <fast_racing@d...> wrote: > > > Greetings from the "frozen north." > > > > > > I know you speedway types are too broke to spend $45.00 a year > to > > subscribe to Cycle News""" > > > > Donavan, > > > > Such Genaralizional about speedway types, No wonder were doomed. I > > have subscribed to Cycle News for over 18yrs so this speedway type > i > > guess was not too broke. Why dont you try saying something > positive > > about speedway types and speedway in general for a change and > maybe > > someonw wont think "ALL SPEEDWAY TYPES" are just a bunch of > negative > > wanabies. THINK POSITIVE NOT NEGATIVE. Youll get much better > mileage > > out of it in general as well as life. > > > > Just my 2 cents... > > > > Tom "GUMBY" Hamilton > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor > ADVERTISEMENT > > > > > >------------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Yahoo! Groups Links > > a.. To visit your group on the web, go to: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/speedwaybikes/ > > b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > speedwaybikes-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. >
                        • Allen Starr
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 3, 2005
                            I complained about the lack of coverage of speedway to cycle news at the long beach motorcycle show. after a long talk
                            about how they get there info on most all racing ect that goes into the mag they took down my address.......then in the
                            mail  I got what I throught was a letter from them.  It was a  contributors guide( I throught it was kinda thick for a letter)
                            saying "Thank you for your interest in becoming a Cycle News correspondent. The following is a guide on how to format
                            stories,results,photos and captions for publication in Cycle News." ........ Now I just need someone the help me figure
                            out the next 15 pages.   I really dont have the time but its all here on what it would take to get something going if someone
                            is interested .......???
                            allen

                            Kim Smith wrote:

                            In defense of Scott Rousseau, he usually does bend over backwards to get Speedway in Cycle News. Two of his stories near the back of the Magazine featured Speedway stuff this past year and he has done a lot of that stuff for Speedway in the past including flying out to NY to cover the US Open in person in 1998. Josh Larsens 180 bike was featured in 2002. Scott is also good about putting stuff in the in the wind section when I send it to him. I don't know what the heck happened a couple weeks ago though with the interviews of all the Champions. Seems they pulled an "AMA" and forgot Speedway. I was as bummed as you Donovan!! Let's all try to write them a line to make sure this doesn't happen again. I know that Brian Burford has been trying to get Cycle News to carry the interview with me that appears in this weeks Speedway Star, lets hope that happens and gets Speedway some coverage.

> [...]

                          • Mike Heath
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 27, 2005
                              Hi Jason,
                               Can you send me a pic of the JAPs off line, are these ones you purchased from the Millers in California? What colors were they before you restored them?

                              Thanks'
                                Mike Heath

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 27, 2005

                                One of the ones I got from Millers I traded to a guy for my Dads original JAP, the other two I still have...the one I want to sell is pictured on my www.jbrspeedway.com site under jbrjawa and it is totally restored. I could also sell an unrestored one. Let me know.

                                Jason