Re: Coventry Fire / Consi Final........

  • Cheri Roe
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 1999
      I went with John Vandermuellen to see Brad Sauer in hospital. John didn't
      get in but found out that he had several possible broken bones including
      ribs. Rubio was at a different hsopital so no word on him, I hope that he is
      okay.

      After practicing on a dry track I simply was not ready for the amount of
      grip at CM last night Coming out in 3rd div, I did a practice start and
      new immeadiately that I was in trouble. Axle not far back enough/wrong tire
      pressure etc. The tapes went up and I just sat there wondering what to do. I
      set off and got into 2nd, then coming out of turn 4 I crashed into the wall
      and went over the handlebars, all on lap 1. This was where Rubio crashed,
      lucky for me I was going alot slower and managed to get up, wave to the
      crowd and walk away.

      I came 2nd in the consi with a pathetic display of timid riding. I just
      wanted to go home in one piece at this point. Lots of fun though on my first
      official ride in 22 years!

      Cheers,

      Malcolm Roe #180

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 1999
        Hi All,

        As some of you will be aware , there was a Fire in the Coventry Car Park at the GP yesterday, which apparently destroyed 14 Cars....The fire was allegedly started by a Car's Petrol Tank blowing up.....

        It was "lucky" more vehicles were not damaged, as the fire started in the bottom corner of the Car Park, and given the volume of vehicles I am surprised it did not burn more than 14 cars....The bottom corner is also where a lot of Coaches were parked up too....

        The fire happened during the Consolation Final's "will it , won't it be re-run ??" saga - Tomasz Gollob pulled up during the Consolation Final, which I myself thought was due to mechanical failure..Apparently, he pulled up due to the yellow "warning light" flashing during the race...I certainly did not see the light flashing, nor did many others, but a guy stood behind me did notice it flashing....I would have thought that Tomasz would hac carried on racing till the red light / red flags appeared on the track to formally stop the race......

        Originally, it was stated that the Consolation Final would be re-run, a decision which was soon over-turned...

        The GP series is now a "three horse" race with Tony Rickardsson right back in the hunt after yesterday's win , 9 points adrift from series leader Gollob, with Jimmy Nilsen a further two points back......

        Regards,

        Jeff

        jeffpovey@...
        jeffpovey@...
        jeffpovey@...
        ICQ # 16103461
        SPEEDWAYWEB - Speedway News, Views, and more.....
        I support the Campaign for Unmetered Telecommunications
      • Cheri Roe
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 1999
          Latest news on Brad Sauer. He is back home and will be out of racing for 12
          weeks due to 3 broken ribs and a shoulder blade. Now for the Banana Man
          Rubio, this report is not set in stone, but he appears to have a sprained
          wrist. If this correct, and I hope for his sake it is, then he should change
          his name from Banan Man to either Man of Steel or the Damn lucky Banana Man.

          Malcolm Roe #180
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 1999
            Rubio suffered a bad crash last night at Costa Mesa. He slammed into the wall
            coming out of turn 4 and flew into the stands. He was carried off and taken
            to the hospital. Does anyone know of his condition?
          • timothy marsh
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 1999

            • RPSMER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 1999
                That would be great news if Rubio came out of the crash o.k.